Hog Attack!

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
This situation is exactly why I believe you should be allowed to carry a pistol when black powder hunting for hogs on WMA's. Imagine shooting a big boar with a muzzleloader. making a bad shot, and here he comes.Lot's of hunters would have a hard time climbing a tree without some low hanging limbs.Then you would be the bacon.

dog1

hog attack

I'll say it again, y'all missed my point. Don't knock the person for weapon he/she was using. An injured wild hog can be dangerous.

I've killed them with 22 LRs', 22 Mags', 38 specials, 357 mags., 243, 3006, 30-30, 7mm-08, you name it, I've taken them with it. Also with distances you can't imagine. I've hunted with and without dogs, so I've been there.

Get the point of the discussion, they can and are dangerous. Why jump on a person for his/her choice of weapon. In the right hands, all of the above will kill a hog.

dog1

R

redneckcamo

this thread has a bit of everything dont it ??

what a read .....good greif !!!

MudDucker

Staff member
I've seen hogs hit with 170 grain 30'06 jump up and chase the hunter. I've shot hogs across fields with 243 and 270's. Didn't measure the shots, but they were good'ns.

No matter the caliber, with hogs, I watch them from a safe distance before approaching them up close. If their rib cage is moving, they get another round or two. I also look for a good climbing tree before taking the shot. Yes, I have shot one or two with 22's and even one with a 7mm mag that in turn chased me up a tree.

Hogs will tear your behind up if you are not real careful. Sorry this fellow got hurt.

wholenotem

Looking for help, just got me a new pup , I would like to see if he has any potential in hog hunting. I live in Winston ga.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

barnetmill

I think this whole thread basically decided that Caliber was not the factor that caused this accident. It wasnt the distance of the shot either. The man was apparently uneducated about approaching a possible wounded animal. The hog would have done the same thing no matter what it was shot with. The pig was wounded and scared. Scared/wounded animals are very unpredictable!
The above is true.
A single long range shot, especially from a smaller bore rifle, resulting in a stone dead critter is not a sure thing. I would have put a few more into the pig before I got close and doing it from a convenient tree is also wise. Even wounded deer can do some severe damage to a hunter. I am more concerned about pigs that attack defending their territory. A hunter getting hurt is part of the game and a little bit of danger should be part of the allure of making it a sport in that you can lose. But a hiker getting chased, especially if it is me is not sporting for me, even if it might be for the pig.

Chase4556

I've killed hogs back in Texas with everything from a 22lr to a 7mm mag. 243 included.

I have also had hogs soak up those rounds like they were nothing, and turn toward me. They are tough sons of guns. I agree his caliber choice wasnt the issue, although I would prefer something larger, it was how he approached the animal that injured him. I have not read the story, but I can figure that out just by reading your posts.

I still tell people, and will stand by it to this day. The round that I have hit pigs with, and had the most number drop in their tracks was a 30-30. Seems to just flat knock them down.

barnetmill

I've killed hogs back in Texas with everything from a 22lr to a 7mm mag. 243 included.

I have also had hogs soak up those rounds like they were nothing, and turn toward me. They are tough sons of guns. I agree his caliber choice wasnt the issue, although I would prefer something larger, it was how he approached the animal that injured him. I have not read the story, but I can figure that out just by reading your posts.

I still tell people, and will stand by it to this day. The round that I have hit pigs with, and had the most number drop in their tracks was a 30-30. Seems to just flat knock them down.
Many people in the south are using the 7.63x39 which at close range is not so different from the 30-30 when fired in an SKS. Often with the el cheapo FMJ russian ammo and it causes an impressive wound and often does not exit a mature pig. The bullet tends to tumble and even deform a bit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Many people in the south are using the 7.63x39 which at close range is not so different from the 30-30 when fired in an SKS. Often with the el cheapo FMJ russian ammo and it causes an impressive wound and often does not exit a mature pig. The bullet tends to tumble and even deform a bit.

I've killed some with my SKS shooting Russian 154-grain soft points. Does an impressive job. I would not shoot a hog with a FMJ if I had a choice in the matter.

Chase4556

I was on the Fort Stewart managed hunt this past season, and shot a nice size boar one night. As I walked up, I realized the pig was still alive, just injured. At point blank range, I put a second round in it from my AR15. Federal Fusion 62gr load. It put the pig down, and as we were cleaning it, I recovered the round on the opposite side shield.

So, with that said, even at a range of about 3ft, a 223 still did not get a pass through on a 150lb boar. The shield stopped it. That is why I go for right behind the ear on pigs with a 223. If I dont, I expect to put multiple shots on target to dispatch the animal.

Chase4556

^^ That is not to say that one shot through the vitals would not have killed the pig. It would have. However, who knows how far that pig would have ran, and what type of blood trail would have been left to track it.

barnetmill

I've killed some with my SKS shooting Russian 154-grain soft points. Does an impressive job. I would not shoot a hog with a FMJ if I had a choice in the matter.
I would normally agree with you. But looking at an autopsy photo of a pig hit with ~123 grain fmj wolf showed a devastating wound in a ~190 lbs pig. Bullet stayed in the hog so there was no wasted energy from a shoot through of the pig. I think it went through maybe like 18 inches of pig thorax at an angle. I would not have expected the bullet from a fast twist barrel to key hole but there it was.
I would use for close range a .308 semiauto with a good bullet myself for close range.

goob

wow this thread was from 2009 haha.

ol mike

I use the old 357/38 special I found in a parked car -just laying on the seat ---people didn't want it .
It'll bust a hog , had more than a few come after me -draw double tap -then double- double tap --save last two just in case there's more aggressive hogs .
Be careful out there guys !!