Duramax troubleshooting

1gr8bldr

Here is the story; I loaded about 3 ton of old brick on my dump trailer and took it to a spot on my hunting land where we usually have problems crossing. I tought I would back it in the mud a little and then dump. But once it reached the mud, it sank to the frame and the truck quickly dug 4 holes trying to pull it out. I did not dog it at all. With an 8000lb truck, once stuck, your stuck. No sense in trying over and over. But we dug out in front of the wheels and I was going to give it one more try and it cut off. It was like someone hit a kill switch somewhere. It can't be anything mechanical. Must have throwed some safety code. So, I got it pulled out in neutral and now it's being towed to local mechanic. But I really need to get this thing back to work. I don't wish for this thing to set in a lot for several days before they get a chance to look at it. Anybody have any ideas???

rjcruiser

How deep did the truck go? You mentioned that the trailer went to the frame, but what about the truck?

bluemarlin

I guess you don't have a tuner? Mine reads codes and lets me know what's up on the display... What year is your truck?

1gr8bldr

How deep did the truck go? You mentioned that the trailer went to the frame, but what about the truck?
The truck would have never got stuck if it was not for the trailer. The trailer was in the mud, not the truck. But the ground was soft.

1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr

Water could have gotten in exhaust
No water, I could walk across it and sink up a little in my shoes. The main problem was the weight in the trailer. I unhooked the trailer, but at that point, I had dug 4 holes that it would not climb out of. A shovel could have fixed that but then It died

rjcruiser

No water, I could walk across it and sink up a little in my shoes. The main problem was the weight in the trailer. I unhooked the trailer, but at that point, I had dug 4 holes that it would not climb out of. A shovel could have fixed that but then It died

Sounds interesting. I have no clue, but it almost sounds as if something else was about to go and the strain pushed it over the edge.

I'm guessing something simple. Battery maybe? Ignition coil?

Showman

When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run? If not, check for a blown fuse or circuit breaker. If the pump is running, then for how long (longer than usual might mean a clogged fuel filter or air getting in somewhere). If it ain't that, man, you got big problems.

JpEater

When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run? If not, check for a blown fuse or circuit breaker. If the pump is running, then for how long (longer than usual might mean a clogged fuel filter or air getting in somewhere). If it ain't that, man, you got big problems.

A Duramax doesn't have an in tank electric fuel pump. Or any electric fuel pump at all. ;)

1gr8bldr

A Duramax doesn't have an in tank electric fuel pump. Or any electric fuel pump at all. ;)
Mine has some sort of pump in the tank. If I let it get below 1/8 of a tank, it runs out. So it seems, but what they say is that little pump has gone bad. Expensive fix so I just never let it get that low. It is a pain when it does because I have to bleed the fuel pump/lines. Then pump the primer. But this time I have plenty of gas [correction, fuel]

1gr8bldr

One year ago this friday it broke down with the same symptons. Only that time I had the 4wheeler in the back with the boat hooked up, dead in the middle of a blinding rainstorm, sitting in the middle of a busy hwy. Whew, I just knew someone was gonna rear end me. But that time it was a fuel pump relay

1gr8bldr

They hooked it up and the code showed it to be the glow plug module circuit. This does not sound correct. It cut off and never crunk back. Not that it would not crank. Something caused it to shut down

1gr8bldr

I'm confused... Diesels have lift pumps and don't use gas.
LOL, I meant to say fuel. That would be a problem. But sadly, I have done it. Long story. I got distracted

Showman

Only has a manual Fuel Pump? That don't sound right. What do you do if the Prime is not at it's peak?

1gr8bldr

Only has a manual Fuel Pump? That don't sound right. What do you do if the Prime is not at it's peak?
I'm sure it has a fuel pump. But it also has a primer button on top of the fuel filter housing. To bleed it, there is a nut to loose, someone turns the motor over until all the air is out and then after tightening, you pump the button until it gets hard.

devin25gun

Expert: Tim West replied 850 days and 3 hours ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
this is usually due to bad wiring to the fuel injection control module.
There is a TSB on the issue that reads:Condition/Concern:
Some owners may comment of a SES MIL on and if DTCs are checked with the Tech 2 a U0100, U0101, U0105, and/or U0106 will be set. The ECM, TCM, FICM, and Glow Plug Controller communicate between each other on circuits 2361 and 2362 (CAN Buss), the Tech 2 does not communicate on these circuits.

Recommendation/Instructions:
In most cases, if all the DTCs set it could be caused by the Can Buss circuits shorted to ground. Cases for either of these circuits shorting to ground at the FICM/Alternator bracket have been reported. Before replacing any parts perform a thorough visual inspection of this wiring harness near the FICM/Alternator bracket and repair as necessary if shorted.

Check this first Seems to be a issue on the 04 model duramax's

JpEater

Mine has some sort of pump in the tank. If I let it get below 1/8 of a tank, it runs out. So it seems, but what they say is that little pump has gone bad. Expensive fix so I just never let it get that low. It is a pain when it does because I have to bleed the fuel pump/lines. Then pump the primer. But this time I have plenty of gas [correction, fuel]

A Duramax does NOT have an electric fuel pump. It does't have anything more than a fuel sending unit in the tank. However, it does have a fuel pump. It is built into your C3P injector pump mounted in the front of the engine valley on top of the engine. It is a mechanically driven pump that "sucks" fuel from the tank, through the fuel filter and into the pump. Thats why there is a primer on top of your fuel filter housing. Without the primer your would not be able to bleed all the air out of your filter and supply your fuel pump. Everytime you press the primer, your sucking fuel from the tank.