heat pump question

Oldstick

I forgot to mention, many units have a selectable timer for how often the unit goes into defrost mode. It might just need to be set for a longer time interval. The ones I've seen have a jumper wire on the circuit board to select the timer.

You would need to dig out the installation manuals or have a tech check it, if you are not comfortable.

firebreather

Thanks for the responses. I may have a tech come out to check and make sure my heat strips are working properly..It seems to work ok for heating the house but just seems really inefficient. Maybe a when the time comes to purchase a new unit it will not blow air into the house during defrost mode. Mine is a 2008 unit.

When a heat pump goes in defrost ,if the room temp is below what ever you haved designed , the heat strips will come on , to pitch in , unfortunately most contractors put in the smallest cheapest stuff they can , sounds like it's not working , safety, burnt up or undersized strips I see it all the time , ,you'd be surprised how many contractors won't even hook them up
Rule 1, in non p.m.d heat pump will not!!! Keep up in cold , it has to be cleaned , in and out ,
Rule 2 a heat pump will get u by in summer barely but not winter , check charge , coils fan blower etc
Rule 3 always get oversized heat strips when replacing your unit ,but not by much ,
I see 3 ton units with a 7kw heat strip n the house has vaulted ceilings , idiots , they never probably went to school and know what a manual J load calculation is , I put in my new trane 17 seer hp with 15kw n 7.5 kw heat strips , when they do call for them it won't take long to satisfy by the time i get 2 stages kicked in , if it even ever needs the 2nd stage , best of luck to you also check your return filters ,
P.s I had a house. 1 time in a deep hollow when it was 24 deg it was 18 in that hollow , unit went in defrost every 30 min n didn't need it because sensor was always below the 31 deg setting on the dft, changed it to 90 min n ran fine after that

Last edited: