Advice on controlled burn....I had each

rstallings1979

block of our planted pines on our farm thinned this past year back in July. Forestry will likely have firebreaks in this week or next so I hope to burn in mid march. The problem is these pines haven't been burned in years. They are probably 20 to 23 years old with only pulpwood status due to the competition they had. My hope is to burn and get them up to saw timber status in the next 4-5 years for a complete clear cut at that time. I have only helped burn in the past with no experience on what to look for as far as temperature etc. I know there's a ton of fuel on the ground so what would your advice be? I also know I should wait for humidity to be in the 35-50% range when we do light the fire. Should I wait for temps to be 65 or less or is 75 ok? We may not get another cold front of course so my fear is the temp not turning to those 40-60 range and staying in the upper 40s to mid 70 range. Forestry stated they are pretty booked right now still trying to burn off areas that need replanted first so if I wait for their assistance it may not get done this year.

Kootie

I highly recommend Michael Carpenter (letsemwalk) from this site. He did a burn for me and handled everything at a very reasonable rate. PM me for his number or maybe he'll chime in.

It will be tough to get them to saw timber status if they are really thick without room to really put on growth. However, you will absolutely improve the stand by burning. I would not be that concerned with temp when you burn but you are correct in the humidity levels. I would however recommend burning at least a couple days after rain if possible since you have a lot of fuel in there to keep the temp down on the burn. Don't burn on any EAST wind since it can be unstable and can shift on you. Good Luck!

rstallings1979

Thanks Doc...the thinning opened the area up

a good bit and will help with growth. Forestry told me a good burn should help even more so I am following their advice. Most people would say hire a forester but I have friends who are willing to help with the burn who have experience but I know a lot of you guys on here do this yearly so I wanted your advice as well.

You can understory burn on warmer days if you have a light breeze. It helps to disperse the heat. U might want to consider a mid rotation release spray followed by an understory burn. Release spray will take place late summer early fall