Two hunters shot while fanning

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I remember decoys back in the early 1980's. They were made of styrofoam. Gil

GLS

There was a post in this thread or elsewhere where the poster opined that back when, every effort was made not to wear red, blue or white to minimize the idiot effect of someone misidentifying the colors as a male turkey. It's like defensive driving. You don't assume or rely on someone not under one's control to obey the law or rules of the road. You protect yourself with a few simple rules. Sit against a big tree with clear vision in front; if you see someone in the woods, speak in a loud voice. Don't signal by waving or making a yelp. Fanning turkeys is lowering the safety bar and hoping someone won't mistake the turkey fan for a turkey. It's leading with one's chin. It increases the likelihood of someone making a mistake. Apparently no one can say that no one has been hurt as a result of fanning because the linked article cites a fatality three years ago. If legal equals ethical would the same be said if it were legal to shoot a turkey from a truck window or turkeys coming to a corn pile? Gil

Steve Roberts

Man just think if some hunters fought the anti-hunter's like they do other hunter's instead of trying to make them self look like the great white hunter while bashing others!!! Hunter's biggest enemy other hunters!!! Go do something productive that is right with your time instead of what you think is right!!! :banginghe

GLS

Man just think if some hunters fought the anti-hunter's like they do other hunter's instead of trying to make them self look like the great white hunter while bashing others!!! Hunter's biggest enemy other hunters!!! Go do something productive that is right with your time instead of what you think is right!!! :banginghe

You might re-think what you just said because I can think of a lot of groups more harmful to hunter's rights than other hunters. Gil

Steve Roberts

You might re-think what you just said because I can think of a lot of groups more harmful to hunter's rights than other hunters. Gil
The reason other groups are so strong, and hunters are so weak is because, instead of sticking together as hunters they bash each other because they don't hunt the way they do, shoot the kind of gun they do, they hunt with a crossbow and I don't. It's never ending, and the other groups see that, and have a field day with it!!! Some hunters can't see the forest for the trees!!! Steve

Steve Roberts

I wonder how many turkey hunter's die in vehicle accidents in a year going to, and from hunting areas? Then compare that to hunter's being killed in a year while fanning!!! Bet nobody would want to give up their vehicle!!! :huh:

GLS

Steve,
Do you really think hunters as a group are weak in Georgia?
Be specific as to when anti-hunting groups have seized on hunters being critical of other hunters and as a result that the anti-hunters won a victory or had a law changed because of hunters being critical of other hunters.

Steve Roberts

I'm not just talking about Georgia, but hunter's as a whole. It's sad that we are not united all the time, only when someone is stepping on our toes. They would rather give some one a hard time about the way the hunt, what kind of weapon the use, if they use a blind or decoy. When I was a young boy in the late 60's dang good turkey hunters use to go out and build ground blinds, and that was the way everyone hunted turkeys back in the day! I bet if they would have had tent blinds back then they would have used them!!! Back then they would have said someone running and gunning all over the place cutting, and cackling was no turkey hunter!!! I don't use blinds, or decoys when hunting by myself, but I do when I hunt with my wife, and grandkids. Now my wife is starting to see it's just to much stuff to tote!!! My thing is get them hooked on turkey hunting, then I will make a hunter out of them. Opinions vary, but if someone not holding a gun to my head, and making me hunt a certain way then if you are legal hunt the way you want to, and I'll hunt like I want too!!! Remember if we hunt we are all hunters, and if you don't like the way someone hunts don't hunt that way, and leave them alone!!! Steve

DRBugman85

VANISHED. GONE. NEVER TO RETURN. Participation trophies to everyone.Back in the 60's they did not have the money They worked to raise they family not to buy decoys, blinds and had paper shotgun shells that could not shoot a gobbler at 60 yards and 1shotgun that was used to hunt everything. VANISHED.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
VANISHED. GONE. NEVER TO RETURN. Participation trophies to everyone.Back in the 60's they did not have the money They worked to raise they family not to buy decoys, blinds and had paper shotgun shells that could not shoot a gobbler at 60 yards and 1shotgun that was used to hunt everything. VANISHED.

In the 60's common sense reigned supreme and popping a turkey in the head with a .22 long rifle was legal. This mandated that you identify your target right down to seeing the blacks of his eyes before you pulled the trigger.

Now the laws have changed to protect us from ourselves because commons sense is commodity that can't even be purchased at Wal-Mart. Heck Mossy Oak doesn't even make a marketable version. ;)

Steve Roberts

In the 60's common sense reigned supreme and popping a turkey in the head with a .22 long rifle was legal. This mandated that you identify your target right down to seeing the blacks of his eyes before you pulled the trigger.

Now the laws have changed to protect us from ourselves because commons sense is commodity that can't even be purchased at Wal-Mart. Heck Mossy Oak doesn't even make a marketable version. ;)
Common sense reigned supreme in the 60's!!! Tell that to my dads friend who's son had the third button on his flannel shirt blew through his chest by another deer hunter with a 30-06!! God bless him, and his family he is no longer with us. Turkey hunters use centerfire rifles to kill turkeys legally back then also. Man I was around back then too, and have heard the stories!!! Like I said some hunters can't see the forest for the trees!!! 60's Free Love, and that group of people common sense was in!!!