Look What I Found

Clipper

Rumaging through my bow box today I found these and I’m guessing I’ve had them for 35 years. The JC Penny tag at the top is priced $2.90. When I got out of college I took a job as a draftsman in a consulting engineer’s office making less than $10,000.00 a year. Now that same job might pay $40,000.00 if you are a lot better than I was back then. Multiply 2.90 * 4 and you get $11.60 at todays devalued currency ratings. I found a seller on ebay advertising the same thing I have for $8.00 per head with insert. I think I may still glue them on some wood arrows and hopefully shoot a deer or hog with one.
The back of the package has some printed instructions which I will paraphrase just in case it is still copyrighted. It says to never use the Razorhead without the insert because a) the additional cutting edge will cause more bleeding and a better kill; b) you will get better penetration because the 4 cut incision will eliminate pinch on the arrow; c) the head can be more easily sharpened because it can be taken apart.
It also mentions that the bleeder blade is designed to bend or break on hitting bone for maximum penetration and then goes into sharpening procedure with a caution not to file the point to a thin edge as it will bend on hitting bone if you do so. After the sharpening instructions it cautions hunters who install their own broadheads to make sure it is on the shaft straight. It then states that hunting arrows should be 10 lbs heavier in spine than target arrows and should have large, helical fletched feathers. It finishes by saying that single blade broadheads should never be used for hunting, that hunting arrows get dull just from carrying them, and a properly sharpened broadhead will add pounds to your bow.
I thought some of you might enjoy reading this. Some of their philosophy has stood the test of time and some has not. I wonder how much of our “bowhunting wisdom” will still be considered good practice 35 years from now. Hope all are as pumped about the upcoming season as I am and that all will have a safe and successful season.
One more thought – I wonder if we could all resolve not to have any hunting accidents this year among our traditional hunters. That would mean no snake bites, wearing a safety harness every time we climb a tree, and no arrow wounds from careless handling or shooting. I’m getting attached to you guys and don’t want to lose any of you.

Attachments

• razorheads.jpg
    razorheads.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 351

SELFBOW

Its the only head I use now on wood arrows. I've killed 3 animals w them. I'll buy em if you don't want them.....they're not getting $8 for em thought unless its advertised as NOS(new old stock) . out the box heads get $3-5 depending on who's bidding.

Clipper

Its the only head I use now on wood arrows. I've killed 3 animals w them. I'll buy em if you don't want them.....they're not getting $8 for em thought unless its advertised as NOS(new old stock) . out the box heads get $3-5 depending on who's bidding.

Thanks for the offer but I think I try and get some blood on one of them this year.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Thanks for the offer but I think I try and get some blood on one of them this year.

Good thought.
I have some from the 60's that my dad used. Still in great shape. I'm using those and some older Zwikey Eskimos. Good luck and leave lots of blood.

Dr. Strangelove

JC Penny sold broadheads? Wow!

SELFBOW

Here's a pack I opened and used.....

Saving these for a rainy day.....This is NOS still in the wrapper.

Clipper

I still have 3 or 4 of my old fiberglass arrows but they are spined wrong for my bows. I should get them spined and let someone get some use out of them.

Al33

Enjoyed the read David, thanks for sharing your find.:) My first whitetail bow kill was with an arrow tipped with one of those heads. Real interesting instructions.;)

SELFBOW

I still have 3 or 4 of my old fiberglass arrows but they are spined wrong for my bows. I should get them spined and let someone get some use out of them.

I've got 30 of em. Lost one 2 summers ago misdrf a pig high and it being green couldn't find it.