need to know why my tomatoes have busted??

jeremy mccollough

ok for u die hard gardeners....i went to pick my tomatoes yesterday and i had a bunch of them to pick...well out of about 40 tomatoes i picked i threw away 30...what i was seeing was these tomatoes were busted some so bad that i could see the seeds and inside of the tomatoes and the ones that i felt were worth eating had also had some split areas in them...only thing i figure is i might of let them get to ripe,but i noticed some of my green maters also were showing some signs of busting open...any idea please let me know what ya'll might think or might know...

gadeerwoman

Most likely inconsistent water. With these weird weather patterns we've had lately they either get too little or too much off and on.

nkbigdog

she is right

heavy frequent rain or over watering will cause the maters to split.

O.k. if you have this problem, here is sort of the cure.

Despite the fact we all love "vine ripened" tomatoes, once the fruit "breaks" from green to pink around the stem, the ripening process is biologically complete. If you pick that tomato and put it in a warm, more or less dark place like a garage or pantry, it will ripen exactly as if it were on the plant. Even if you have a lot of light in your garage, wrap them in a piece of newspaper.

I have problems with the squirrels taking a plug out of my ripe tomatoes and so I do this routinely.

The biggest no-no is putting them in the Frigidaire. That will stop the ripening process.

chambers270

All of the grapes around here are busting now.

jeremy mccollough

thank you all for the input ....thats one more thing i like bout this site you'll always find people who know a little bit more bout things than i do...nice to be apart of a good group of people

gadeerwoman

calcium will help with blossom end rot but won't do a whole lot with splitting. Tomatoes are made up of a large percentage of water. When they get 'overwatered' or 'inconsistent watering...dry and then a great deal of water', the tomato itself gets so much water content it simply burst. Picking before ripe and letting ripen inside is about the best "cure" around.
Jeremy, we just got a lot of folks on here who can appreciate a good tomato. :) Lord, I do love those things. Every meal goes better with a couple slices of a good fresh tomato!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Most likely inconsistent water. With these weird weather patterns we've had lately they either get too little or too much off and on.

right on the money