Soil Testing

Rouxthless

This coming year will be my first foray into food plots. I've done a lot of reading and figure the first thing I need to do is have the soil tested for ph, minerals, etc. Though, I haven't been able to find where I can get that done in south Georgia (Valdosta) yet. I've read about UGA doing testing, but does anybody know somewhere I can go locally to get this done?

Also, since this will be my first year doing this, if anyone wants to post some tips I'd greatly appreciate that! Specifically I'll be in northern Lowndes county, so if you know of particular plants/minerals/etc. that deer prefer in this area that would be great to know too!

Thanks everyone!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Get with your county agent at the FSA (couny extension) office-- he can get you the sample bags and send them off for testing

Rouxthless

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Not that I'm in a huge hurry at all, but I'm curious, is there any place you could take it (like a farmer supply store or something along those lines) to have it tested "on the spot"? I'm not sure what the testing process is, so I don't know if this is even possible. Like I said, just curious.

Thanks again!

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
Your extension center can give you the "turnaround' time. It usually very quick.

Rouxthless

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies & great info everyone! Once I get my plots going I'll be sure to start a thread to chart their progress. If nothing else, it'll be good for a laugh I'm sure ;-)

wyldwulf

I do my testing thru a local extension office, and I have results in about a week. You can usually have the results emailed to you, which speeds it up, and gives you a good record.

Hodaka

One thing you want to do is to do a test on each plot seperately and keep the tests. Test every year for the first 2-3 years and compare the tests to see how the amount of lime and fertilizer you are putting out is effecting the overall fertility.

wildlifepro

Banned
Also when getting your soil test done make sure you get a complete soil analysis done.Not just a PH test, This will test for macro/micro nutrient levels. Also label what you intend to plant on your bags.

Rouxthless

thanks again for all the tips! i guess i just have one more question before i get my soil test done...

the property i'm on is only 20 acres, but it's "prime" land with plenty of cover for bedding along with 2 ponds and a creek, the only main thing missing is a good food source, hence my wanting to put in some food plots of course! so my question comes from my ignorance, having never planted a thing in my life, should i collect a sample from by the creek bed along with one one high grounds and mix them together to get one soil test, or should i get a separate test for each spot i intend to put in a plot?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Get separate soil samples .... it's cheap and it may save you some money by not having to add something you don't need, in one specific area

win280

You can also fertilize you natural browse.Should be some oaks in the bottom and maybe some honeysuckle or privet around the ponds.