Homemade Deer Attractant Reciepts

gadeerwoman

I'm working on a buck attractant. I'll let you know at the end of the season if it works.:banana: But for a curiosity scent, beaver tonquin works well as does a mixture of pure vanilla and oil of anise (the stuff that gives licorice it's smell).

MCBUCK

Oil of anise does work well...better when it is cold out and you get some type of heat on it
BTW and off topic..That is one nice red there in your AV.

Al White

Take an old car grill and hang it on a tree by your stand, the deer will run right into it! LOL :)

P&Y FINALY

FYI, It is against the law in GA to bait deer using corn, peanut butter, and/or other attractants (excluding doe urine). Not sure what the regs are in LA.

Not following game laws in the state you are hunting can result in expensive fines.

My Grandfather taught me to
Hunt for fresh deer sign or a well used trail, hang a stand and sit with the wind in your favor, remain still,...and enjoy the show.
This sure fire technique for successful hunting has been used for generations.

Give it a try!!!

:cheers:
THANKS, SOMEBODY HAD TO SAY IT!! OF CORSE IT WONT DO ANY GOOD, THEY'LL STILL BE PUSHING BUGGIES FULL OF BAIT THRU WAL-MART LIKE A BUNCH OF STARVIN' WHITE TRASH REDNECKS THAT ARE TOO LAZY TO HUNT.

Ol' Red

Banned
THANKS, SOMEBODY HAD TO SAY IT!! OF CORSE IT WONT DO ANY GOOD, THEY'LL STILL BE PUSHING BUGGIES FULL OF BAIT THRU WAL-MART LIKE A BUNCH OF STARVIN' WHITE TRASH REDNECKS THAT ARE TOO LAZY TO HUNT.

Come on now.....Answer the guys question. Keep you opinions on baiting to yourself. No need to start a wizzing contest and get the thread pulled. There could be some good info posted here.

Gatrapper, could you elaborate on your scent? How much do you sell it for?

Red

G Duck

I think the original question was for Atractants, not bait. It is not Illegal as I know it to use extracts of corn, acorns, white oak acorns and earth as cover scents. That is along the same line as Doe Pee and other "atractants".
Now if I can just find a wide mouth gallon jug, I will be in business

P&Y FINALY

Come on now.....Answer the guys question. Keep you opinions on baiting to yourself. No need to start a wizzing contest and get the thread pulled. There could be some good info posted here.

Gatrapper, could you elaborate on your scent? How much do you sell it for?

Red

OK, AS FAR AS HIS QUESTION... IVE HUNTED PASTURES BEFORE & STEPED IN COW POOP TO COVER ANY SCENT. IVE ALSO DONE THE SAME W/ PERSIMMONS THAT WERE FALLING OFF A TREE NEXT TO WHERE I PARK AT. MAY NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE BUT I DONT FIGURE IT CAN HURT. NOT TRYING TO "PULL THE THREAD" BUT IM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION AS ARE YOU. BAITING IS ILLEGAL & THOSE WHO DO IT ARE NOT HUNTERS.

P&Y FINALY

you need to put it where they can get it, but to too easily. make them work for it. keeps them in the area longer and they will get use to being there, the smells ect. it will become part of there normal routine. as far as hunting over bait.... for those of you in ga as long as you don't put it out within 10 days of hunting on it, it's legal!

WRONG!! IT HAS TO BE *GONE* FOR TEN DAYS BEFORE HUNTING OVER IT. I COULD PUT OUT 20 TONS OF CORN 10 DAYS BEFORE HUNTING OVER IT & SOME IS STILL GONNA BE THERE IN 10 DAYS.

Ol' Red

Banned
BUT IM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION AS ARE YOU. BAITING IS ILLEGAL & THOSE WHO DO IT ARE NOT HUNTERS.

:offtopic:That's true you are....it's just that nobody cares what it is.

I am planning on using a homemade scent this year for curiosity purposes. Hopefully it will work.

Red

P&Y FINALY

:offtopic:That's true you are....it's just that nobody cares what it is.

I am planning on using a homemade scent this year for curiosity purposes. Hopefully it will work.

Red

I SURE HOPE IT DOES WORK!! THEN YOU'LL GET YOU A BIG UN' RED! EVEN IF IT DONT, YOUR CORN PILE SHOULD BRING EM IN FOR YA. GOOD LUCK BUDDY. IVE MADE SO MANY FRIENDS ON THIS FORUM BY SPEAKING MY MIND ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY. OH WAIT, THATS MY OPINION & NOBODY CARES THOUGH.

Leblcalr

I hunt in Louisiana and it is legal to hunt over bait. Lets get this thread back to the original question. "Does anyone know of a good receipt for homemade deer attractants". I am in the process of trying the gallon jug. I will try anything once.

I mix baking soda with water and put it in a spray bottle as a scent neutralizer.

As for attractants...one thing I have found that helps is using some sort of concentrate mixed with water in a small sprayer...I spray it on my boots and such and then spray it on leaves and tree branches as I walk into my area...I do not use a lot because it does not take much at all...they will smell it...:bounce:

Mixes I have used include concentrated apple juice, a couple of tablespoons of persimmon or acorn flavored Buck Jam (you have to mix this thoroughly because it is so thick...there are probably a lot of other scents that would work with the sprayer method too...

Last edited:

Boudreaux

BAITING IS ILLEGAL & THOSE WHO DO IT ARE NOT HUNTERS.

And if you hunt perched over a food plot, you are no better. Entitled to my opinion, just as you are. Bait is bait, whether is is still attatched to a stalk or sitting on the ground.

Last edited:

And if you hunt a perched over a food plot, you are no better. Entitled to my opinion, just as you are. Bait is bait, whether is is still attatched to a stalk or sitting on the ground.

Uhhhh okay...so what was your recipe for an attractant?...I must have missed it :huh:...::ke:

addictedtodeer

I'm trying one this fall
had 4 tarsal glands, cut all hair off and have it soaking in vodka (apparently the scent will be captured in it and it not add any strange smell).
next I added a teaspoon of tonquin musk (synthetic, real you can not get here and way to expensive $1800 an ounce).
Finally add glycerin (apparently to hold it all together).

Equal amounts of alcohol and glycerin. Mine is a big batch hence the teaspoon of tonquin musk.

No this isn't my own recipe but one I've heard of and figured I'd give it a try.

It's way cheaper then buying tarsal gland scent from the stores.

It sure stinks pretty right now!

addictedtodeer

I've also used antler King's deer irristable to store my hunting clothes in.
the year I did that I always had spikes follow me to my stand.
No does, no good bucks just spikes.