Whens the best time to plant a plot for turkey season?

huntinredneck90

i hunt in morgan county ga and was wondering when the best time would be to plant a food plot for turkey season which starts late march. And what would be the best thing to plant? if anybody can help me out with this I would appriciate it. thanks

Takoda

Banned
Depends on what you are wanting to plant;

Wheat?
Sun Flowers?
Brown Top Millet?
Sorghum?
Proso?
Buckwheat?
Clover?

gadeerwoman

since you said 'for turkey season' I assume you want something to attract them during turkey season. If so about the best thing you can plant before season opens is some winter wheat for the current season. Plant in mid Feb and it should be a couple inches tall by opening day.
I'm not sure you'll have much luck with chufa in Morgan county as the soils there are usually more clay than sand. Chufa does best in loose sandy soils and not hard clay.

Just 1 More

since you said 'for turkey season' I assume you want something to attract them during turkey season. If so about the best thing you can plant before season opens is some winter wheat for the current season. Plant in mid Feb and it should be a couple inches tall by opening day.
I'm not sure you'll have much luck with chufa in Morgan county as the soils there are usually more clay than sand. Chufa does best in loose sandy soils and not hard clay.

Is there any other seeds that can or should be mixed with the winter wheat?

gadeerwoman

For planting this late, I wouldn't add anything to the winter wheat except maybe a little crimson clover. Turkeys love clovers. You might want to put in a few perennial clover plots next fall. Those will really take off about the time turkey season opens if you fertilize them with some 0-20-20 next March. But the clover won't do much for the first couple months anyway so if I were you, I'd wait for fall to get the clover in the ground.

Killdee

I have about give up on spring summer plots.I like ICpeas forage oats and yuchi arrowleaf clover in the fall.The peas get eat early,the oats carry through till spring warnup then the yuchi gets knee deep and lasts till June.Turkeys like this mix also.

hey guy,
Try planting by the signs Thats the only way I plant anymore!:D

huntininmilan

for the spring i will be planting lots of Tecomate lab lab, buckbeans with grain sorghum and sunflowers to climb on and chufa along with lots of ic peas and soybeans....just to name a few!

Latest posts