What If.....

Triton Mike

You shoot a bear and the joker runs off the side of a hill down the ravine and your in the middle of nowhere? Gosh I can't even imagine how to get a deer out of there much less a big bear.. My bears love to bed on the side of the cliffs it seems.. I just know if I shoot one he's going home LOL.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
That's why it pays to have bear hunting buddies. The only way one man is bringing out even a moderate sized bear is in pieces and multiple trips.

Killer Kyle

Yep. If you don't know how to slice 'em and dice 'em, better let somebody get you learned up real quick. Know the old adage "slow is easy, and easy is fast"? Spend the time cutting up front right after the kill, and you'll be outta there in no time. Start dragging, and you'll be smoked in twenty minutes.

twincedargap

Quarter it and pack it out. Or put it on a sled or wrap it in a tarp. I drug a small one this weekend 2.5 hours to the truck. I was so happy it was a small one by the time I was done.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Happiness is a downhill drag.

jbogg

I decided early on that there would be no dragging for me since most of my spots are a good ways from the truck. Unfortunately the few boars I have seen this year were all so small I wasn't confident I could prove they were 75 lbs without bringing them out whole and that wasn't an option given where I was hunting. Really wish there wasn't a weight requirement.

Timberman

The hour or so working the bear into the lightest possible weight is well worth it. I've not put it into practice but I believe it to be the best way.

When I hunted bear in SC it was a 25 man party dog hunt. Thank goodness it was cause you had to bring bears out whole. We had a strap with 10 loops on it we would loop it around the neck secure the front legs and drag. 10 men dragging one ahead cutting a trail with a saw and periodic visits from other party members with backpacks full of beverages.

jigman29

Best piece of bear hunting equipment you can have is a bunch of teenage boys lol. We have drug them from little to big and they aint none of them fun. My father in law killed one 20 years ago that was 515 and they pretty much ruined a Polaris 4-wheeler getting it out. I helped my brother in law drag a 415lb and it took us most of a day. We used to always bring them out whole but now adays I think the quarter method is by far the best way.

The mtn man

Up until a few years ago I dog hunted bears in NC mountains most of my life, I've seen every kind of idea you could imagine, even some guys used a mule until one day the mule seen the bear behind it, and we'll let's just say after several miles of being dragged hard by a mule down the mountain then down the highway as fast as a mule can go, there wasn't much left of the bear. I knew a guy that would pay some fellas that were south of the border to get his bears out. We started packing them out a long time ago. It is definitely the best way unless you have about 10 strong men.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is no easy way to get a bear out of the woods in most of the places around here that bears live in. The work is all part of the hunt.

The mtn man

And dragging a bear is like dragging a barrel with water in it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And dragging a bear is like dragging a barrel with water in it.

Yep. Hardest thing there is to drag. Slick fur, no good place to grab ahold, and always rolling to the downhill side.

Triton Mike

I just know if I shoot a bear he's gonna swan dive off the side of the cliff. Maybe I need to move to another spot LOL Do boars grow antlers LOL

Uncle Joe

Reinhardt University's winning streak is putting a damper on my bear hunting. I have a very large boar in the area but want to take my neighbor boys (both play for Reinhardt).
My thoughts being if one of the three of us gets the big guy a text message can recruit more help in 10 minutes than I can find in 3 days given the old CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored in my contact list.
BTW Reinhardt is 10/0 after winning the first playoff game yesterday and were ranked # 2 in NAIA going in to yesterdays game.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Question from a rookie here folks. I see people talking about quartering them up to get them out. That seemed like the best way but I thought if you killed a bear on a WMA you had to bring it by the check station which would rule out quartering the bear first.

Are the rules different if hunting the national forest or are y'all talking about private land when you mention quartering them? Publicland will be my only option.