I only made it through Calcus 3, I need help with my 2nd graders math

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Draw 3 rows with 2 counters in each row. Write a word problem that can be acted out using these counters.

What in the world common core math.

There is nothing common about common core.

It's da debil.

It is suppose to teach logical thinking. From what I've observed of those that have graduated under it, it teaches nothing of the kind.

GA native

There is nothing common about common core.

It's da debil.

It is suppose to teach logical thinking. From what I've observed of those that have graduated under it, it teaches nothing of the kind.

Logical thinking... that's the lie I was told about algebra.

beginnersluck

Pardon the confusion if there was any...by "idiots," I was referring to the powers that be in the Dept. of ED. Most of the teachers I speak with think the new teaching methods are bunk, but that is the directive from the top.

No confusion...I definitely know what you meant. Believe me, some of the things that are handed down to do, I just have to shake my head at. Of all the new ideology that comes out, I bet within 3 years there will either be something new or it will revert to the old.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well I am going to present an opposing point of view to some of the above posts concerning the state of our public education. I graduated in 1975, got a Physics degree in college and worked as an engineer for close to 35 years.

Last year I worked some as a substitute teacher in the Houston County school system. From my observations in the math and science classes I sat in, the level of the curriculum was far beyond anything I had experienced at the same age in high school in the 1970s.

So my kudos go out to the teachers of today, given the huge changes in society.

Don't you think when it comes to math, generally it is better for the student to understand the mathematical operations first before attempting "word problems"?

Oldstick

Don't you think when it comes to math, generally it is better for the student to understand the mathematical operations first before attempting "word problems"?

Yes, of course. The scenario in the OP did seem odd. But evidently they are doing something right over the years. From what I saw in the more advanced high school math and science classes they have to be good just to pass.

In other words, I think today's high school science and math studies are way closer to college levels than the 1970s when I was there.

beginnersluck

Yes, of course. The scenario in the OP did seem odd. But evidently they are doing something right over the years. From what I saw in the more advanced high school math and science classes they have to be good just to pass.

In other words, I think today's high school science and math studies are way closer to college levels than the 1970s when I was there.

The only problem, only a handful of the smart ones can compute and understand these math concepts...the rest, well they are left scratching their heads and the basics of math are not learned, leading to a lack in skill.

j_seph

My wife teaches headstart/pre-k. They are not allowed to tell kids NO, nor even punish with quiet time or take a toy away.

georgia357

If they are doing something right, how come it seems like the average cashier can't even figure out the change to give back if you give them some change plus dollars?