how high can a snake strike??

DogHunter4Life

just curious... alot of snake boots (mine included) are only about 16 inches high.. just wondering if they could strike higher than that??? or if they strike more out than up :huh:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
They strike more out than up, but a good rule of thumb is that they can strike about half the length of their body. 16" boots should serve you well assuming the snake is on the same level as you're standing.

Capt Quirk

They strike more out than up, but a good rule of thumb is that they can strike about half the length of their body. 16" boots should serve you well assuming the snake is on the same level as you're standing.
Depends on the snake too. As Germag said, most will strike out, not up. Others, like a Cobra will stand high, striking forward as the fall forward. As unlikely as it is that you would run into a cobra, you should be good. Just keep in mind, boots won't help you if you squat on a snake :)

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Depends on the snake too. As Germag said, most will strike out, not up. Others, like a Cobra will stand high, striking forward as the fall forward. As unlikely as it is that you would run into a cobra, you should be good. Just keep in mind, boots won't help you if you squat on a snake :)

Yeah, I wasn't taking exotics into account...some of them can bite you in the face. But, like you said, it's highly unlikely that you would run into one of them unless you got really turned around and walked for a really long ways and swam for a while.....

godogs57

Yeah, I wasn't taking exotics into account...some of them can bite you in the face. But, like you said, it's highly unlikely that you would run into one of them unless you got really turned around and walked for a really long ways and swam for a while.....

Cobras are about as rare here as black panthers!

quinn

I feel good with the 16 inches but i feel really uneasy stepping in a hole or over a log!

DogHunter4Life

thanks guys.. i guess if i get bit by a cobra in south georgia i'm just meant to get bitten..haha

i hate walking to my stand and not being able to see my feet b/c of the tall grass

Capt Quirk

If you stomp your feet, it gives the snakes a chance to get out of your way. Most of them don't want anything to do with you, and only strike when startled or harassed.

sman

I have seen rattle shakes raise their heads up like cobras before. One big one in the yard put her head up about two foot off the ground. I have small kids..... so I lowered it down for her.

Drexal

A rattlesnake will strike up to 2/3rd of its body length. Eastern Diamondbacks get upwards of 6-7 feet... you do the math. Just always be on the lookout.

Chris 195 7/8 B&C

Ran over a 5' timber rattler that was crossing the road last year just as I topped a hill. He was stretched out and then coiled up on the yellow line in the road after being ran over. When I got out and started walking toward him a honda accord came over the hill and this snake struck at the car as it passed and hit the car at the gas tank door. It sounded like you hit it with a baseball bat.
Not sure if it was just because he got such a good grip on the asphalt or what but he just lunged nearly his whole body.
Most violent strike I've ever seen with out a doubt.

i was quail hunting in abbeville walking through some newly planted pines the next thing i knew the only thing that stood between me and a 6 1/2 foot diamdback was a pine tree that was about knee high she raised well above it with her mouth open probably about mid thigh high i had snake boots on but i felt like i need a snake proof vest. but snake bites are usually about ankle high

treemanjohn

Banned
Snakes bites on the hand are very common, watch where you put them. Boots can't help you there

Last edited:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I feel good with the 16 inches but i feel really uneasy stepping in a hole or over a log!

Dad taught me to always step ON a log, and look over the other side before stepping off.

snookdoctor

A rattlesnake will strike up to 2/3rd of its body length. Eastern Diamondbacks get upwards of 6-7 feet... you do the math. Just always be on the lookout.

It's half their body length. The math would be 3 to 3.5 feet. They still strike flat for the most part, but if they are elevated for some reason, you are correct. Always be on the lookout.