how to haul out a deer carcass

Mako22

BANNED
If you are over 50 years old better not drag him out because statisticaly you are way more likely to have a heart attack from the extreme effort of dragging a dead deer. I bought a deer cart from Bass pro a couple years ago for $79 and it could be a life saver one day.

Fishin & Hunting

I like to post this every year. It covers the evolution of my home made deer cart that cost me very little. The end of the thread has the final results. It works great and has saved me a lot of work.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=34890

ClydeWigg3

well it can probably hold two ark. deer at the same time..lol

You know of course I'm being sarcastic? If I shot a 250# deer you'd have to call in lifeflight cause I'd be having a cardiac.

DelphicSharpShot

I tie a 15-20' webbing strap around the neck and attach it to my climbing stand (which is attached to my back w/ shoulder straps of course). I drag deer over very long distances and this method works best for me.

Bodab1974

Just find you a nice illegal immigrant and let him carry it out for you. Pay him by not calling INS

:whip:

I could not resist

jason8047

Just shoot fawns that way you wont have to worry about them getting heavy. 30-40 lbs max. Even better if you can pick them up by the ears n carry them out.:biggrin2:

bat

Simple, old lounger, two wheels, axle, couple of locking clamps etc.
deer optional! :bounce:

Attachments

• Cedar Creek wishing a big buck.JPG
    Cedar Creek wishing a big buck.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 5,351

Jake Allen

Just shoot fawns that way you wont have to worry about them getting heavy. 30-40 lbs max. Even better if you can pick them up by the ears n carry them out.:biggrin2:

Just go ahead and put them on a biscuit right there, mmm.

Get a 4 wheeler. Make sure to haul it on the front.

One man loading: Keep a 20' nylon tow strap. Drag the deer to a tree, pull the 4 wheeler within 5 feet of the same tree. Loop the tow strap from the left side of the front rack,
around the tree with both sides under the deer. Hook
end of strap on the right side of the front rack.
Back up and when the strap comes tight, push the deer on the front rack. Drive to camp and winch it on the peeling pole. That's the way us tall guys with a bad back can get it done without hurting something.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I use my 4-wheeler. If it's a short distance, I just drag it with a piece of rope. If I have a long ways to go, I'll find a low limb that I can throw my winch cable over and use the winch to put the deer on the rack.

12gamag

here is how I ussally haul one out if I have to hual him out for miles than a quarter mile.....

first I gut them on the spot

then find you a about a 4-5 striaght sappling... then cut a hole in the hocks-just like you are fixing to hang the deer...then slide the stick in the hocks... then step between the deers legs and the sappling--pull the sappling up waist level and start walking---rest the sapplling on your waist so you dont have to steadly push on the stick....

I have hauled deer 2 miles out of the woods before like this...it aint as easy as using a cart but it works in places you cant get one....

ClydeWigg3

Simple, old lounger, two wheels, axle, couple of locking clamps etc.
deer optional! :bounce:

If this ain't redneck I don't know what is......heck, worse than redneck, it's just poor white trash.:bounce: :whip: I guess if you get tired on the way you can dump the deer and catch a few rays. You need to mount a Igloo Playmate for a 6 pack of cold ones to the underside of the handles. :bounce::bounce:

Dub

You know of course I'm being sarcastic? If I shot a 250# deer you'd have to call in lifeflight cause I'd be having a cardiac.

I'm with you!!!!!!

I'd be getting on the cell phone and calling everyone...."Just killed a monster......HELP".:fine:

dusty80

Separates the hunters from the couch potatoes.

Thats right. You can't get a cart or 4 wheeler in the swamps/creeks I hunt. I've had more 2 and 3 hour drags than I care to remember. It all comes with the turf. I have talked with ole timers that talk about dragging deer for miles out of the river swamp.

dusty80

here is how I ussally haul one out if I have to hual him out for miles than a quarter mile.....

first I gut them on the spot

then find you a about a 4-5 striaght sappling... then cut a hole in the hocks-just like you are fixing to hang the deer...then slide the stick in the hocks... then step between the deers legs and the sappling--pull the sappling up waist level and start walking---rest the sapplling on your waist so you dont have to steadly push on the stick....

I have hauled deer 2 miles out of the woods before like this...it aint as easy as using a cart but it works in places you cant get one....

That's a good way to do it. I usually take my belt off and loop it around the bases of the horns and then run it thru a short strong limb.

heck, the toughest drag out i ever had was bout 10 years ago 3 1/2 miles in the woods on the backside of a mountain in maine. that is when i was young and dumb!

OLEKAZ

we are were young and dumb..lol...i had to one time cut a pole and tie the deer to it,both front and back legs so 2 of us could carry it out like that. that was a very long haul. took half a day. but it was in a place where no one hunted as it was a mile and a half hike just to get to the edge of the property.from there it was 5000 acres of woods...we took a 24 pt off of it bout 25 yrs ago.