Remington 750 vs. Browning BAR

tomski007

How does the Remington 750 compare to the Browning BAR? Is there another semi-auto to look at?
Just wondering.
Thanks Tom

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have no experience with the newer Remington 750. I can tell you that a comparison between the older 742 and 7400 models and the browning BAR is not really a fair comparison. The BAR (IMHO) is a far superior rifle.....but then again, it's a more expensive rifle too.

smitty8765

Are we talking about the awesome Belgian made brownings or the newer japanese made ones? Because you can't compare those 2 rifles.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Are we talking about the awesome Belgian made brownings or the newer japanese made ones? Because you can't compare those 2 rifles.

That may be true....but in my opinion (and it's only my opinion) they are probably both superior to the older Remingtons. I don't know anything about the 750s, though.

The only BARs I've had any experience with are Belgian Brownings and are excellent rifles.

smitty8765

BARs are hard to beat. Belgian BARs were IMO one of the if not the best semi-auto hunting rifle ever built. I want one, but not one made in Japan.

RJY66

I am almost certain that no Browning BAR centerfire rifle has ever been made in Japan. In 1977, they started assembling them in Portugal but the parts were still made in Belgium as they are today. There are Browning trademarked guns made in Japan but I don't think the BAR ever has and is not today.

Here is what Browning has to say on the matter of the location of the manufacture of their firearms.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=90

I have had one of the BARs "made in Belgum assembled in Portugal" since the 1980's and have enjoyed many a hunt with it. No malfunctions of any kind. I would say it is probably as accurate as the average factory bolt action shooting factory ammo. I don't think you will go wrong with one if you want an autoloader. I am talking about what is today called the "safari" model. I have no experience with the "shortrac/longtrac".

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am almost certain that no Browning BAR centerfire rifle has ever been made in Japan. In 1977, they started assembling them in Portugal but the parts were still made in Belgium as they are today. There are Browning trademarked guns made in Japan but I don't think the BAR ever has and is not today.

Here is what Browning has to say on the matter of the location of the manufacture of their firearms.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=90

I have had one of the BARs "made in Belgum assembled in Portugal" since the 1980's and have enjoyed many a hunt with it. No malfunctions of any kind. I would say it is probably as accurate as the average factory bolt action shooting factory ammo. I don't think you will go wrong with one if you want an autoloader. I am talking about what is today called the "safari" model. I have no experience with the "shortrac/longtrac".

The ones I've shot were surprisingly accurate.

BamaBart

I just bought a new one yesterday and it's made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
To answer your question about others to consider, there's always the Benelli R1......

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
To answer your question about others to consider, there's always the Benelli R1......

The Benelli is not a serious consideration in my opinion as it has severe accuracy issues........at least the 3 I have experience with.

The BAR's regardless of lineage are fine firearms.

Bruz

Buck Nasty

Why is it that Semi's are supposed to be less accurate than a bolt action?? Is it just related to the action movement?

smitty8765

In 1976 or 1977 BARs production went to Japan, where they are made now I do not know. I do know that the BLRs are still made in Japan that is why I said that. No matter where they are made they are still fine rifles. I just have a very hard time buying foreign made rifles.....call me old fashioned.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
In 1976 or 1977 BARs production went to Japan, where they are made now I do not know. I do know that the BLRs are still made in Japan that is why I said that. No matter where they are made they are still fine rifles. I just have a very hard time buying foreign made rifles.....call me old fashioned.

You do realize the Belgium is "foreign" also.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

smitty8765

Yeah but there is something to be said of a fine Belgian made browning compared to one made in Japan. Kinda like the difference in a Nissan and a Mercedes if you get my drift. I did'nt say I owned one either...:flag:

RJY66

You won't own a Browning BAR centerfire rifle made in Japan either because it does not exist. If that is all that is holding you back go out and buy one tomorrow....new or used.

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have an old Remington 742 chambered in 6mm remington that is very accurate and dependable.... but finding one in 6mm is a very rare thing. The Rem auto's got a bad rap for years, mostly because the owners did not keep them cleaned and lubed properly.

Ohoopee Tusker

Can't beat the BAR. I've got 2 early model BAR's, in 7mm and 30-06. Both are accurate with little recoil.

smitty8765

If Browning BLRs are made in Japan by Miroku, then why is it so hard to believe that in one point in time BARs were made in Japan. Obviously Browning does'nt hold anything against a Japanese rifle.:pop:

RJY66

"The BAR rifle was initially produced totally in Belgium and then assembly was transferred to Portugal in the early 1970s. This was history making for Browning, as the BAR was the first Browning firearm made in Belgium with assembly at an all new Browning plant in Viana, Portugal.

Today, the Portugal factory has grown to be a major component of the Browning manufacturing system and is where the BAR continues to be assembled today, as well as the 12 and 20 gauge Gold and Silver autoloading shotguns and limited runs of the Hi-Power pistol. Contrary to what some have said, the BAR has always been made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal from the beginning."

http://www.gunreports.com/special_r...story-John-Browning-Automatic-Rifle695-1.html