Tradtional Archery Pheasant Hunt UPDATE! Post 24

Al33

I had a kind fellow tell me in the most gentlemanly way that he wouldn't want to participate in the pheasant shoot because in his opinion it was not fair chase. I certainly respect his opinion and I too believe in fair chase standards for hunting, but this is not hunting, it's shooting. :) Trying to hit a flying target with an arrow is challenging at best especially when it is a live target. The pheasants are raised for these purposes and not for introducing them to the wild where they would never survive anyway here in Georgia. I don't think it's much different than raising chickens to later slaughter and eat. The difference between chopping their heads off with a hatchet and shooting them with an arrow is that shooting them is more fun and aides in enhancing your shooting skills. Were it not for pheasant shoots of this type where pheasants are not natural to the environment the pheasants wouldn't have ever been born in the first place. Because it is shooting and not hunting fair chase practices shouldn't come into play, in my humble opinion.:) In any event, for me at least, I think the pheasants will have an extreme advantage for escaping any arrows I might fling at 'em.:bounce:

jerry russell

Still looking for some folks to come shoot some birds. Right now it is looking not so good that we will hit the minimum. I am trying to put together a plan b if well fail to get the minimum. We have 5 more days so if this is something you are thinking about, let me know.

jerry russell

Looks like we are 100% full for this hunt. Thanks for the responses. If any openings come to be, I will post it here.

1. A safety reminder for those that are signed in:

Field points, bird points, blunts or judo heads only- No broadheads.

2. You absolutely need brightly fletched flu-flu arrows as there will not be time to search for lost arrows between shots. Paul with P&A archery will be shooting with us so if you need arrows made up, give him a shout. He made up my manly looking arrows for this hunt.

3. You must bring and wear a hunter orange vest (minimum) and a hat if you have it. If you are bringing a non-hunting guest and they are going anywhere near the hunting field, they must have orange on as well.

We will be shooting skeet during lunch so if you want to participate you need to bring a box of shells (low brass #8) for a 12 ga. I will have a couple of guns for loan.
We are still planning lunch but we will cook out or have something brought in. Bring a little $ for that. Bring a couple target arrows/point because we will most likely play the Al Chapman archery game at lunch if time allows.
If you have briar pants/chaps I would sure bring them. We will be pushing some sticky cover.

This is going to be fun!

Last edited:

Jake Allen

Looks like we are 100% full for this hunt. Thanks for the responses. If any openings come to be, I will post it here. I will be rolling a camera so stay tuned!!!

Good job Jerry.

jerry russell

OK the shoot is just around the corner. If you are scheduled to hunt, you should have received an email from me with place, time, lunch details etc. Looking forward to this gathering!

gtfisherman

It was E P I C!!!

Great time. These hunts are so much fun. I look forward to each and everyone. I've made so many good friends thru them and love hunting with everybody.