1st Annual Tradtional Bowfishing Gathering

jerry russell

OK folks, here is the next event in the off season traditional archery fun event calendar.

1st Annual Traditional Archery Bowfish Gathering

When: May 3, 2014
Where: Lake Julliette, Forsyth, Georgia
Time: TBD but this will be an afternoon gathering and night shoot.
Cost: $0 but you will need a fishing license and there is a $3 parking fee.

This will be a fun filled trad- only gathering where we will have a pot luck meal with archery games and fellowship followed by an evening/night bowfishing event. Anyone is welcome but tradbows only unless you are a small child. This will not be a competitive event other than bragging rights so make sure to bring some kids for the fun. We may do some type of little gag gift for big fish/ long gar etc. but it will remain a fun event. I have looked at every possible option for dates for this event but history has shown this to be the perfect time on this water for big fish and large numbers of fish. This lake is chosen because it is central in the state and always clear. This is a beautiful lake in the middle of a WMA. There are no houses and no docks just wildness. They have great places to gather with picnic tables and a pavilion.

There will be much more information to follow but I wanted to put this out there so that everyone could start planning and getting equipment. You don't need to spend a fortune on gear as there are many options for bowfishing reels. If you have gear questions just call me or shoot me a PM with your number.

OK, here is the most complicated part of this and how we can work through it. The boat issue.

Most any boat can be used and you can use hand held spot lights or better yet a simple halogen flood light from Home Depot with a generator. Participants will be limited by the number of boats we can come up with.

What I need from folks right now is a list of things you can bring to the party to share. Here is what I am bringing as an example:

Jerry R: I have 2-3 boats. One is a bowfishing boat with lights. Two more with generators and portable flood lights. I can carry 8 people (all spots are already taken). If I add a boat I can carry 3-4 more.

If you have a boat and all your spots are taken, just list it that way.

OK, this should help with starting our planning. Please sound off if you have a boat and can bring it. Remember, even if you don't lights, others may have generators and lights to make your boat work. Pontoons work GREAT.

Let's get this thing planned and have another fun gathering.

jerry russell

For folks that want to attend but do not have a boat:

If you are 100% sure you are coming, list that you want to come but need a team assignment. Once you are assigned it is imperative that you stay in contact with you boats captain. Please don't ask for a team assignment if you are unsure if you can make it. It might push someone out from getting to go.

Boat Captains: If your boat will shoot 3 people but will carry more, consider adding one extra and rotate shooters. This will help get everyone out there if we run short on boats. When you fill your boat, give your team a name and list your crew by name (real or GON name if preferred).

2wheelfoster

Sounds like fun! I am going to miss this one.... we have 4-H Target Challenge Weekend on the 3rd.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
I know it's gonna be good. Bowfishin is most times non stop action.

jerry russell

That is correct. You can still put the boat in and use the trolling motor. We often put in and never crank the gas engines. When you hit it right, you don't have to go far.

My bowfishing boat has a 60hp so I have a 10 kicker that I use there.