A Breakthrough

Todd Cook

I've never been as happy with my shooting as I would like to be. I've killed quite a few critters over the years and even posted some fairly decent scores, but I've often felt that I was not in control of my shot.
Lately it's gotten worse, and I've got the scores to prove it :bounce:. It's not affected my hunting to much, but only because I usually only take very close shots. But I've let one too many arrows go before I wanted to.
Let me say right off that I'm certainly not a good enough shot to give lessons, nor do I claim to have discovered something new. But I learned something that I want to share.
I started shooting traditional in 1995. I was full of enthusiasm( still am :fine:), but I had 2 things working against me:
1. I had no one to teach or help me get started( all my friends at that time shot compounds), and
2. I was 26 and strong as an ox.
Strength is a very good thing to have in archery, but it hurt me because I never learned truly proper form. I could shoot heavy bows by just horsing them back, using my arms and hands.
I've always just pulled it back, stared at my spot, and let her rip. When my concentration was really good, it worked great. But other times I would release too soon, or peek, or drop my bow arm, or pluck the string.
I know I'm being longwinded here, but I'm getting to a point, I promise:clap:.
I've always heard people talk about back tension, and I thought I understood, but I was wrong. I talked to a good friend the other day at the state shoot, and he gave me a pointer that I believe will improve my shooting permanently.
Between what he said to me and a couple of video's I watched, I tried something called the rotational draw. This is certainly not new info; you can read about it on other websites, but it is helping me so much I had to write this.
Instead of pulling straight back on the string, the idea is to start the draw by pulling the elbow back and around the spine, ending up behind the head instead of to the side of it. Both hands are relaxed, string hand wrist is allowed to bend naturally.
The results are amazing. Like anything, it will take time for me to ingrain the muscle memory. It's only been a few days, but this is what I've found:
1. Release hand and elbow goes back at release, same each time.
2. I've usually had pretty good arrow flight, but never like this. All I see is a ball of feathers racing toward the target.
3. I can hold for a long time if I want to. I actually feel in control of the shot.
4. No shoulder soreness. none. zero. This was starting to happen in the last couple of years if I shot too much.
5. The bow feels 5-10 pounds lighter. Honestly.

I can't believe I'm just now figuring this out. I figure it will take a while, but I believe I'll be a better shot for it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry it's so long, but I got excited :yeah:

ngabowhunter

I've heard Al telling Chrisana something similar. I need to start doing it myself. I'm bad about plucking the string.

Dennis

Good post and when you get it figured out maybe you can teach me. I to am struggling with my shooting

Munkywrench

Saw this video a few months ago, started doing it but fell into previous habits.It also creates an "inward" pressure towards the side of the shelf keeping the arrow from falling off. Thanks for the thread Todd. I need to practice this more.

2wheelfoster

good post! One thing I noticed when I started doing this was that my draw length increased by about an inch and a half. When it's done right there is nothing like seeing those fletchings spinning and hitting where you want it to!

Troy Butler

Todd, Doug and I have been watching him a while now and Moebow is a machine. If only I could practice his form all the time.

ddauler

Yep moebow1 is an NTS level 4 instructor I think. He teaches USA Archery standard form. He has adapted it a little to shooting instinctive very good stuff. Take a look as KSL archery website Kisik Lee is the US olympic coach. Just don't get too carried away and get away from a hunting style shot been there done that!. DD

Al33

I discovered this sometime last year watching someone else in a YouTube video and gave it a try. I swear by it now. As I have tried to share with others the technique I tell them just to get a good hook on the string with the fingers and not pull the string back with the hand and arm. Instead, think about bringing the elbow back behind you while holding the string. This tells your brain to use your back muscles. For me, it pulls my anchor in tight and solid each time. I do notice that I have to raise my bow arm a bit to accomplish the move which I did not normally do before. When done right it's almost as if my bows have let-off like a compound but at the very end of the draw. I highly recommend this method.

2wheelfoster

I discovered this sometime last year watching someone else in a YouTube video and gave it a try. I swear by it now. As I have tried to share with others the technique I tell them just to get a good hook on the string with the fingers and not pull the string back with the hand and arm. Instead, think about bringing the elbow back behind you while holding the string. This tells your brain to use your back muscles. For me, it pulls my anchor in tight and solid each time. I do notice that I have to raise my bow arm a bit to accomplish the move which I did not normally do before. When done right it's almost as if my bows have let-off like a compound but at the very end of the draw. I highly recommend this method.

It is almost like you are trying to crush a can between your shoulder blades. We also tell our kids at 4H to pretend they are standing with their back against a wall and to touch the wall with their elbow when they draw.

Todd Cook

Yep moebow1 is an NTS level 4 instructor I think. He teaches USA Archery standard form. He has adapted it a little to shooting instinctive very good stuff. Take a look as KSL archery website Kisik Lee is the US olympic coach. Just don't get too carried away and get away from a hunting style shot been there done that!. DD

Yes sir, I agree. I don't want anything that won't work in the woods or up a tree. I really believe this will though. I've tried it upright and canted, and it seems to work equally well. Mainly this style of draw just ensures proper alignment.