Blood dogs for finding wounded big game

rapid fire

Love it Jerry. Makes me want another puppy. Selling our house and then I'm gonna get another. I am going to put a lot of emphasis on trailing with the next shorthair.

Barry Duggan

...and he is getting finer looking by the day.

tradhunter98

Good looking dog mr.jerry! My dog will run a blood track to. If you shoot something you better do all you can to recover it.

jerry russell

You would think this little dog was a child of mine the way I go on about him but to say he continues to amaze with that nose would be the understatement of the year.

We were working on obedience today and crossed a training track from yesterday. I would never have believed that a dog this young could do this....

rapid fire

Pretty amazing. Awesome what gift God has blessed these creatures with. Even though I doubt we would have found my doe dead, I hate we weren't able to put him on the track.

jerry russell

Just another quick update on the progress of my Bavarian Blood dog for those that don't mind me going on about it, lol.

Today we attended the 5th annual Eastern Lacy Dog blood tracking event in Lagrange. I was nervous as all get out wondering if what I thought was a great dog was really a great dog. The testing would show for sure. He was evaluated by judges from the Untied Blood Tracker Association. I entered him in UBT-1 and UBT-2 test which is more advanced. To be honest I was just hopeful that he would pass the first test and just get the practice/exposure from the more difficult test. UBT-1 test on Friday was a 400 yards tracking test that was aged 4-5 hours. He worked out that trail with very little effort. Today he tackled the UBT-2 test that was 900 yards long and aged overnight. Following a 17 hour old blood trail is a challenge for a 5 month old but but 45 minutes later he was standing over the dead deer (skin). It was neat to be a part of it. The test started off with me interviewing the "hunter" for shot details. We then had to follow the old trail and locate two wound beds and negotiate 900 yards with three 90 degree turns. We tracked through very diverse cover including going down dirt roads with no blood or leaves on the ground. It was so rewarding coming up on that deer at the end. This little pup of mine worked so hard and he sure made me proud.

Attachments

• IMGP8575.jpg
    IMGP8575.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMGP8578.jpg
    IMGP8578.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMGP8603.jpg
    IMGP8603.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMGP8617.jpg
    IMGP8617.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMGP8622.jpg
    IMGP8622.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 210

jerry russell

A few more pictures

Attachments

• IMGP8638.jpg
    IMGP8638.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMGP8647.jpg
    IMGP8647.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 195
  • IMGP8663.jpg
    IMGP8663.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 203

Barry Duggan

Has Dennis told you about the one he just got Jerry? So far she has found his sandwitch on the kitchen table, and his Strickland's smoked sausage on the kitchen counter. Gonna be a good one.:D

jerry russell

Has Dennis told you about the one he just got Jerry? So far she has found his sandwitch on the kitchen table, and his Strickland's smoked sausage on the kitchen counter. Gonna be a good one.:D

Ha! Yes he told me. We are going to get together on a blood dog training day soon.

Dennis

It has followed ever fresh blood trail I've put down so far. Tomorrow I'm going to put out a long one. It WILL find food!!!
I'm not sure it can follow a older trail yet or ever we will see. Only had it a couple of days. Jerry told me the training book i need to order we will see

jerry russell

For those with interest, I am planning to do a training day in May for blood dogs of all levels of experience. If you have not notified me that you want to attend, please do so. We will obviously have to limit the numbers of advanced dogs that can run lines but there will be unlimited space for beginning handlers and pups.

Here is my latest training line with my new pup.

jerry russell

Dave, never more than two training lines per week. I do the same with my retrievers...leave them dying for more. It builds drive. OB training happens every chance I get which is not enough. My new pup eats everything in the house. This includes sofas and window sills.

I am dying to get him on some real blood tracks. I may have to go and whack a pig or two to get him some work.