Yanmar Tractors????

BDAWG

Does anyone have any info on this brand of tractor. Spalding tractor has a special going on and I was wondering if this is a good tractor.

HGM

I love mine!!!! I got the 2210.....

check out this link for a lot of great info on compact tractors...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

Ditto.... I have a YM2000 though... Do alot of reading in the Yanmar board on the link above. There is alot of good info there and several things you need to know before buying a Yanmar, but if you follow their directions, you'll get a great little tractor that will last you nearly forever. All at a price of about 1/2 a used common brand..

CAL

They are very good tractors in my opinion.I have two now.One is for sale,$4500.00.It is 25 hp.

Attachments

• Tractor.jpg
    Tractor.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4,123

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Bought a John Deere compact tractor back a few years and got to look at the Yanmar engine every time I raised the hood.

Sold that one and now own a straight Yanmar.

MOTS

Like Ruger#3 said. If John Deere will put their heavyweight name on them, they have to be good.

Doyle

Here's the BIG problem. The "dealers" will tell you that these are "factory reconditioned". That is a big lie. These are grey market tractors that started out life on small farms in Japan. They were never built for export to the US. Along the way, people started buying them up cheap there and bringing them in. Buyers in the US got good, used tractors for a decent price.

Then, unscrupulous people started buying junkers and sending them to Vietnam first. The Vietnamese put together tractors from parts (sometimes mixing parts from different models), give them a nice coat of paint and a zero'd hour meter. Theyh are sold as "factory reconditioned" and some of the dealers will bald-faced lie to you and tell you Yanmar is supporting this. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Yanmar specifically disavows any sale of these tractors. They refuse to offfer any type of official parts support or mechanical advise/service. If you buy one, you are on your own for getting replacement parts - although many parts can be cross reference to parts from models that were made for the US market.

I'm not saying they are bad or that you shouldn't buy one. I'm saying that this is something that you really need to educate yourself about completely and know what it is you are buying. Yanmars themselves are well made little machines.

One more thing. There are two Yanmar models that you really need to stay away from (known issues and no replacment parts at all). Unfortunately, I can't remember which models, but I believe both were 2 cylinder models. I did some long research on this subject when I was looking for a tractor.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Here's the BIG problem. The "dealers" will tell you that these are "factory reconditioned". That is a big lie. These are grey market tractors that started out life on small farms in Japan. They were never built for export to the US. Along the way, people started buying them up cheap there and bringing them in. Buyers in the US got good, used tractors for a decent price.

Then, unscrupulous people started buying junkers and sending them to Vietnam first. The Vietnamese put together tractors from parts (sometimes mixing parts from different models), give them a nice coat of paint and a zero'd hour meter. Theyh are sold as "factory reconditioned" and some of the dealers will bald-faced lie to you and tell you Yanmar is supporting this. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Yanmar specifically disavows any sale of these tractors. They refuse to offfer any type of official parts support or mechanical advise/service. If you buy one, you are on your own for getting replacement parts - although many parts can be cross reference to parts from models that were made for the US market.

I'm not saying they are bad or that you shouldn't buy one. I'm saying that this is something that you really need to educate yourself about completely and know what it is you are buying. Yanmars themselves are well made little machines.

One more thing. There are two Yanmar models that you really need to stay away from (known issues and no replacment parts at all). Unfortunately, I can't remember which models, but I believe both were 2 cylinder models. I did some long research on this subject when I was looking for a tractor.

doyle is right i used to be a YANMAR dealer and then an importer of these fine tractors YANMAR is an excellent tractor but when and if you need parts you will most likely have to buy a used part as yanmar no longer will sell a new part for the japanesse version. there are 2 companies around atlanta that sell "facory recondined" stay away from them they will bore the cylenders and put stock pistons with oversized rings in them. the main thing to remember is that most of these tractors are close to 30yrs old. i still have friend who import and sell them if anyone needs help plz feel free to pm me and i will see what i can do.

john

Smokey

I've got one of the "Imports" mentioned above. I've never had an ounce of trouble with it.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
don't get me wrong im not knocking the yanmars by any means im just stating that most of them are older and parts are hard to come by. the ones that have a YM in front of the number ie. ym1500 or ym2500 were last made in 1979. the 1600 and 1900 are older and parts are very rare for those 2. guy's i imported them sold them and worked on them. they are great tractors and should last you a life time. i quit selling when i could no longer get parts from yanmar usa

HGM

They're all imports. You just have to keep your eye's open and find a good quality tractor from a good dealer or seller. I have heard of many Vietnam refurbs that will make you cringe. There can be allot of money in selling these tractors because they are such high quality for the price. You cannot buy a "new" Yanmar, nor can you buy a "factory reconditioned" Yanmar. They are almost all 30yrs old. Once you look at them in comparison to an 8n style tractor and realize that it could have been cleaned up, you'll be fine with one. If someone tells you its 5yrs old, run away, they are lying to you.. Just make sure that everything works, check the fluids and run it before taking it. They are great tractors.. The smaller ones have a unique cooling system and you have to run a 30-70 antifreeze mix to keep it from overheating, so keep that in mind too. My YM2000 is the smallest model with a water pump, I prefer it that way.

HGM

I like my 2wd, but I have heard from many that you need 4x4 if you want a front end loader. I use my rear brakes all the time to steer the thing though. They are light up front and require some weights up there, so as for pulling power of the added front wheels, in most cases I dont think you would need it. My buddy has a 4x4 JD and its nice in some areas, but not necissary. The front axle appears to be one of the major repair costs on these tractors and consequently, one of the first things that people will try to mask. I have heard many stories of damaged front ends on "new, factory reconditioned" Yanmars.

Doyle

Would you get the 2wd or do you need the extra pull of 4wd

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you are just bushhogging or finish mowing, the 2wd will do just fine. If you are pulling a plow or using a loader (which tends to pull the rear wheels up and makes you loose traction), then the 4wd will really help. I've got a 27hp John Deere (with the Yanmar engine). When I'm pulling a disc, I'll loose traction before I run out of horsepower.

WishIwuzhuntin

When John Deere went big in the compact market, starting with the 50 series (650, 750, 850, etc.) these tractors were made entirely by Yanmar. Somewhere along the way it changed to just the engine. The irony is that a 750 John Deere can still set you back 8K used-yet the identical Yanmar will set you back 2 to 2.5K. Funny how much money a little green and yellow paint cost.

Yanmar is a great tractor. Make sure to follow the advice previously noted.

Hardwood man

I've had a Yanmar YM2000 for nearly 4 years now and (knock on wood) haven't had any trouble out of it. I would buy another but bigger if this one ever goes south.

THREEJAYS

I also have owned A JD 970 for 5-6 yrs w/a yanmar engine.It has been the best starting and running tractor I've ever owned. Don't know about the whole yanmar tractor but they make a great little diesel engine