camping peaves

carp614

What is this g-e-n-e-r-a-t-o-r you speak of?

Blasphemy of a sort. I was thinking that disconnecting from...well everything...was a major part of the point of camping in the first place.

The only thing we ever brought with us was a radio so we could listen to the footabll game Saturday. There is nothing like a fire cooked hot dog and John Ward calling the game on a brisk fall afternoon in the woods.

Havana Dude

Completely understandable.

cpaps will run all night on a battery and converter. If need be, charge battery in the daytime. I know this works, as a buddy of mine uses one at our huntcamp when he is there.

papachaz

i think they also have a pill for people who don't like other people....just sayin

i'm in the crowd who don't think it's any of your business if i camp the way i wanna camp. we do try to be respectful and know that a lot of people don't even know what respect is. that includes respecting everyone else's rights to do things the way they want to, whether that's how you want them to or not.

we've only ever taken a generator one time when we camped. and only ran it a few hours in the middle of the day to recharge the battery when it needed it. i hated the noise myself in the middle of the woods, but due to health concerns it was necessary.

greg_n_clayton

Hmm...So I suppose campin' to a degree, can be sorta like fishin" !! If a rubber worm or live bait, fishin for catfish or fishin' for bass, doin' it in a 40 grand bass boat or a jon boat; it's what ever one might like !! If I don't want the noise, the neighbors kids runnin' through my camp and such; I just wouldn't subject myself by puttin' myself in the atmosphere ! Just sayin' !!

pstrahin

Hmm...So I suppose campin' to a degree, can be sorta like fishin" !! If a rubber worm or live bait, fishin for catfish or fishin' for bass, doin' it in a 40 grand bass boat or a jon boat; it's what ever one might like !! If I don't want the noise, the neighbors kids runnin' through my camp and such; I just wouldn't subject myself by puttin' myself in the atmosphere ! Just sayin' !!

Good point.

Havana Dude

I agree about letting the kiddos have a good time. Heck, when my kids were younger, thats why we went, for them. And I also agree, there is a time and place for it. 11 pm is not the time for them to running all over screaming and hollering. We had one occasion where a kid came up to our campsite, walked right in the camper, and got a coke out of the fridge. I was a little apprahensive about going in and getting him out, for fear of his parent(s) coming looking for him and seeing me, with him, in our camper. I had the wife handle it. There are a few adults only campgrounds around, just find one of them.

Last edited:

win280

The kids usually behave better than the adults. Kids go to sleep by 10 pm. Some adults think its ok to stay up all night drinking,playing cards and blasting music.

Oldstick

I agree 100%. It just so happens that we usually prefer to go in our popup to the more developed, state park areas where there are full hookups and large RV spaces. So we know beforehand there's going to be mostly motorhomes and large trailers with a few popups and tents scattered in. We know to expect RVs with generators. And almost all everyone is respectful enough to recharge during the mid-day.

If we couldn't put up with that, the burden would be on us to choose a different type of area.

polkhunt

Banned
Generators, people staying up all night talking like they are 250 yards from each other and people who find they can't go camping without their barking dog. We camp at a beach campground from time to time that will only give one warning about barking dogs after that they have to leave or board the dog in a kennel, and that is one reason we like staying there.

saltysenior

so, i should give up the lifetime hobby of camping because the ''atmosphere'' is changing for the worst ??? I might after this upcoming trip , but i'll sure let people here know why....:cheers:

papachaz

so, i should give up the lifetime hobby of camping because the ''atmosphere'' is changing for the worst ??? I might after this upcoming trip , but i'll sure let people here know why....:cheers:

wow, what an attitude for a life experienced man to have,
don't they have a pill for that too?

greg_n_clayton

No sir !! Not at all. Just sayin' that what was discribed has always been my experience in crowded places. That is the reason I don't go there. Change for worse ?? Well, it could be !! Nothing seems to be the way it used to be !!

saltysenior

No sir !! Not at all. Just sayin' that what was discribed has always been my experience in crowded places. That is the reason I don't go there. Change for worse ?? Well, it could be !! Nothing seems to be the way it used to be !!

funny thing, i'll be about 20 mi. west of you in clayton,then 20 miles west of you,in s.c.,then about 30 mi n. of you in n.c.

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten

Greg, I know exactly where you are coming from and you was not trying to pick a fight,you are one of the nicest guys I have met in person on this forum.I have camped in State Parks with my kids for certain reasons, and I have camped in totally primitive away from anybody campsites with my kids also. Though I am a big outdoorsman, my main reason for camping these days is for my family, not me.That may change as I get older, but I hope I have grandkids to share the same experiences with. I am not going to let my kids act like a bunch of wild hoodlums, but at the same time I am not going to feed my kids Ridlin or whatever else and expect them to sit around like a zombie. When kids go camping they are supposed to be excited.As far as generators go, find a stricter campground.They are out there.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
If you want some seclusion and quiet, try camping on WMAs when the seasons are out. Many are open to camping primative and no crowds.

HoCoLion91

We camp in state parks in GA, FL, and AL. They all have electrical, water and some sewage hookups. That does away with the need for a generator. At night, even with 70 campers its very quiet. I have never met a rude or disrespectful camper at a state park.

riprap

Generators, people staying up all night talking like they are 250 yards from each other and people who find they can't go camping without their barking dog. We camp at a beach campground from time to time that will only give one warning about barking dogs after that they have to leave or board the dog in a kennel, and that is one reason we like staying there.

This. This weekend. Campers beside us got there at 10 pm and it took forever to set up two tents and they built a fire a mile high. loud talkers, generator (not much usage during daylight hours), lazy people can't walk 200ft to bathroom. Ok thats all.

BANDT

me and my family love camping. try to go 3 or 4 times a year. Im not going unless I have my a/c :)

everywhere we go has electricity and water. those days of ruffin' it are long gone.