2014-15 Washington/Hancock Field Reports

jtomczak

Heading down this weekend to check cameras and do a little work. Will post pics if I have anything worth sharing.

imkevdog

went down and bush hogged, cleared shooting lanes, very dry need rain bad, going to try and disc labor day weekend don't know about planting, going to watch weather

Buckshot

Rattlesnakes!!!

We been seeing lots of rattlesnakes between Sparta and Milledgeville. So look out if you in the woods !

hunt4em

We have been working like crazy@ the Cadillac ranch.we are in between powelton and Sparta on hwy 22.bush hogging,and spraying for our fall plots.corn and soybeans doing well.just hope it continues to rain a little bit each week like it's been doing.

Put in some work this weekend - hung new stands, moved some old stands - dry and hot.

Pic below is the fella I will be chasing this Fall.

I already have hard horns on some younger bucks, last year it was September 21 before we had any hard horn pics, that's a difference of three weeks. Wonder what, if anything, this means?

Attachments

• Pulled830CardOne 280.jpg
    Pulled830CardOne 280.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,717

jtomczak

Great buck Beau! Did some work last weekend and praying for rain. Bush hogging is taking place this weekend and plots going in as soon as rain is forecast. Fingers crossed. Best pic so far (numerous camera issues).

Attachments

• WGI_0004.jpg
    WGI_0004.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,676

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Some good looking deer in them pics! I sure miss hunting Washington co! Maybe one day I will be able to get back over and down that way!

dsweat

Changed cards this weekend. Dry, dry, dry. Bucks still in velvet.

Attachments

• SUNP0003.JPG
    SUNP0003.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,586
  • MFDC8219.jpg
    MFDC8219.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,587
Saturday morning I saw four bucks, all small: 8pt, two 6pt, 4pt. Everything moved between 7:15am and 7:45am. It was already too hot to be fun by 9:00am.

Saturday evening I was rained out, huge thunderstorm in southern Washington county around 4:00pm.

Sunday morning I saw one small doe and one winded me before I saw it. A little cooler after the rain but still too warm by 9:00am.

I have run my cameras since early June, attached are pics of the best three I have so far. A bit disappointed in the lack of mass from all these bucks compared to the big guy taken off our place in 2013.

Attachments

• Sep13B 052.jpg
    Sep13B 052.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Sep13C 284.jpg
    Sep13C 284.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,507
  • Sep13C 1000.jpg
    Sep13C 1000.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,511

jtomczak

After taking out 3 wasps nest I sat in the stand Friday night. Saw this nice 2.5 8 point and captured a wasp looking for his missing home. Saw 3 does on road.

Saturday morning at 8:45 AM two does came through the creek bottom. I took a 45 yard shot quartering towards and smacked her, i think in the chest v. neck. Sounded like I'd shot a stump.

1 drop of blood, no trail, no deer. Really bummed. We didn't see anything for the rest of the weekend but it was great being back at camp.

Attachments

• 8 pt.jpg
    8 pt.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,500

BuckinFish

What are y'all's thoughts on the new rut map posted in the forum? I hunt in Washington co near hwy 272. I struggle with timing the peak rut each year between Halloween and Nov 9th since I have to choose my weekends wisely. According to the new map, most vehicle collisions are around Halloween, apparent increase in seeking. Just wondering when you guys consider the best week to be in the woods from your history.

imkevdog

I think that's real close, friend of mine grew up there and he always take the week leading up to the 11th off ,but I seem to see more movement the week leading up to the 2nd

jtomczak

Great weekend with the family.

Got a nice doe Saturday night!

Really like dealing with Mid-State Meat (guy's name is Mike) in Sandersville. Good operation

Attachments

• 9.20.14 doe.jpg
    9.20.14 doe.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,428

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
What are y'all's thoughts on the new rut map posted in the forum? I hunt in Washington co near hwy 272. I struggle with timing the peak rut each year between Halloween and Nov 9th since I have to choose my weekends wisely. According to the new map, most vehicle collisions are around Halloween, apparent increase in seeking. Just wondering when you guys consider the best week to be in the woods from your history.

I'm off 272 as well and have hunted that area now for 20+ years. The timing of the rut has changed in that area without a doubt. Mid 90's through about '08 the peak of the rut seemed to occur around Nov. 15th with pre-rut activity being strongest usually between 10/31-11/8. The last 4-6 years tho, and the last two years inparticular, it appears to have shifted the peak to around Nov. 7-9 and
Pre rut 10/22-11/2. Not sure why, what or how but it has. For the last 10+ years I've always taken the first 10days of Nov. off, but this year I am changing and taking 10/24-11/3 off to try and catch the pre-rut.

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
You got some bucks on cam Beau.

We are headed down to our place in Harrison this weekend to plant. Looks like some good rain coming early Next week!

BuckinFish

I'm off 272 as well and have hunted that area now for 20+ years. The timing of the rut has changed in that area without a doubt. Mid 90's through about '08 the peak of the rut seemed to occur around Nov. 15th with pre-rut activity being strongest usually between 10/31-11/8. The last 4-6 years tho, and the last two years inparticular, it appears to have shifted the peak to around Nov. 7-9 and
Pre rut 10/22-11/2. Not sure why, what or how but it has. For the last 10+ years I've always taken the first 10days of Nov. off, but this year I am changing and taking 10/24-11/3 off to try and catch the pre-rut.

I agree, I grew up watching the elders take weeks off around Nov. 9th and when I finally was old enough to do it myself, i never saw anything. Ill be down halloween to try my luck.

jtomczak

Food plots finally in the ground, right in front of the rain!

Heading down this afternoon.

shotgun01

Got my food plots planted two weeks ago last Sunday. They are beautiful. Had deer in them all last weekend.
My little tracking dog told me that she wants to find a deer, so I may have to fling an arrow this weekend.:D