40th birthday coming up...

FishingAddict

Ok, I'm about to turn 40.

I want to celebrate by taking a week long, do nothing but fish out of a kayak (and maybe camp- but on the ground) trip.

I would love to have a goal of catching a kingfish, tarpon, redfish, and trout. Snook would be a great goal as well, but I hear they are struggling a little right now. At least the restrictions would say that...Maybe I could throw in bonus points for other species like flounder and such.

I might spend the time camping in a tent the whole time. Obviously, if I do that, summer wouldn't be pleasant.

So- where would you go to spend a week doing nothing but fishing, and what time of year?

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member

I want to celebrate by taking a week long, do nothing but fish out of a kayak (and maybe camp- but on the ground) trip.

I would love to have a goal of catching a kingfish, tarpon, redfish, and trout. Snook would be a great goal as well, but I hear they are struggling a little right now. At least the restrictions would say that...Maybe I could throw in bonus points for other species like flounder and such.

I might spend the time camping in a tent the whole time. Obviously, if I do that, summer wouldn't be pleasant.

So- where would you go to spend a week doing nothing but fishing, and what time of year?

Do it while you can. After 40, body parts start falling off.

Have a great time.

shakey gizzard

Do it while you can. After 40, body parts start falling off.

Have a great time.
:rofl:Beat me to it!

St Andrews state park! Now!:yeah:

FishingAddict

That's the area I caught a 35# king off my yak- not a bad thought, minus the snook.

What's the fishing like in August? May be a dern challenge to sleep at night with the heat, however....

FishingAddict

Not a bad thought, but I do worry about the percentage of days I can safely launch a kayak on the Atlantic.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Everglades, could catch them all except maybe the Kings out of a kayak. Take a good hand held GPS with you though........The fishing is great down there if you like to inshore fish, you could also add some snapper, grouper (inshore at that) and any number of fish you did not list. If you felt up to it you would have no problem hooking a jewfish or two if you wanted to TRY to get one out of the cover in a kayak. (as I am sure you know you can not take a jewfish out of the water though) There are lots of juvenile jewfish in the 40 to 50 lb range on any kind of structure in canals, etc... Alot of the park is basically off limits to motors now....you could also see more wildlife than you ever imagined, crocs, birds, etc....oh yeah, bonefish too on some of those flats. My favorite target down there is the huge jacks on poppers, they will certainly give you a work out. Oh yeah, depending on conditions you might even find a permit or two....the list goes on and on, I would bet the everglades NP offers the best inshore fishing anywhere in the US. Oh yeah, did I say sharks? Well there are plenty of them also.

One thing I would find attractive about down there is the fact there are no motor zones in the park, you would not have to worry about folks in motor boats hauling you know what by you in a kayak. I have fished most of the southeast at one time or other and the glades would be at the top of my list for kayak fishing. I am not much of an inshore fisherman but I have fished down there and it is fun as all get out, the variety of what you can target is mind boggling and a week or two is nowhere near enough to fully appreciate it. If you want a break from inshore fishing just hop in your car and make your way over to Islamorada for a day of offshore fishing, charters are reasonable and you can target dolphin, sails, AJ, bft or swords at night all for a decent price.

Last edited:

FishingAddict

Awesome post, Redneck Billcollecter, thank you! If I don't do it this year, it's now officially on my bucket list!

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I am glad you liked my post, one other aspect I did not mention is you can catch nice largemouth bass and any number of exotics also when down there. Snakehead (or as some of the locals callem snake fish) fish are apparently the ones they really want you to catch once you hit freshwater. I know orientals love eating them, well at least the chinese, I personally have never seen one in person. I was fishing a canal once between florida city and largo many years ago, and caught all kinds of cichalids and even an oscar or two. I just wanted to see what was in the canal on the way down to the keys. Even though I am not much of an inshore fisherman I plan on spending a week or two down in the Everglades just to do it....I do like catching tarpon and snook and baby jewfish are outright fun to catch. Hopefully the ban on keeping jewfish will be lifted soon, I know folks are complaining about them being everywhere now and snacking on their snapper or snook when they are just about to boat them.

If I remember what I have heard from fishermen when I have been down there, the back country extends to Islamorada and I DO know the waters of the back country there are more suited to kayaks than the big boats we normally have with us down there. I was staying at la jolla resort last october and there were a few kayak fishermen staying there also and they were tearing up the reds and trout. I think they picked up a bonefish or two also, at least I think I heard them say that. Oh yeah, every evening they had a really nice batch of snapper for the grill too.

There is also the 10,000 Islands area down that way, I think kayak fishing is very big down there and from what I have been told (like I said, I am not that big of an inshore fisherman) it is the meca for those who love inshore fishing for reds, trout, snook, tarpon and jack.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
fishingaddict, i turn 40 in june this year and my goal was to catch 40 species in my 40th year. i am sitting at 39 species already so i think i will make it ! now i want to see just how many i can catch for the whole year. i had a blast in my yak down around clearwater but if i had the week you are talking about i would surely hit up the area redneck is talking about. it is on my must do list as well. the chance to chase peacocks down there out of the yak would be a sweet addition to any trip !

ted_BSR

The good news is that Old Men still go fishing. Live it up, it just gets better!