First Time Hog Hunting

Flanny80

So I am moving to Georgia around Fort Stewart and have never been hog hunting, but I have always wanted to give it a try. I will be moving in June and hopefully all set up by mid July. I have been reading up on this forum and it seems like a pretty good group of guys. Hope I can pick it fairly quick.

Drew

baddave

pretty good? REAL GOOD . na i may can't tell ya how to hog hunt but i did work at ft stewart once and every thurs i'd cut thru to get back on 16.. i once saw a hog cross the road that looked like a rhinocerous .. someone will tell ya and i'm gonna be watchin

Last edited:

Flanny80

I have a .308 bolt action that i will be using, but im in the middle of building a 5.56 AR15. Is the 556 just as easy to take a hog or are a little tougher to take down with that small of a round?

frankwright

.223 will bring one right down but waiting for a head or neck shot will be your best bet.

HaveGunWillTravel

I'd like to go hog hunting with someone experienced. I've hunted before but never hogs. Willing to travel (live between Atlanta and Macon). If you're willing to take an experienced shooter, please PM me. Thanks. (Coyotes also.)

Geezer Ray

It's a big place down there. I have been once. Just going to take a lot of walking near creeks and rivers. I spent a week, lot of looking, lot of tracks, poop, beds, but no pigs. They are probably a lot nocturnal due to the heat, so very early morning or late afternoon. Go on the isportsman.com too get rules and regs, gun registration, pass and so on. Good luck.