New F150 questions

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Looking at getting a semi new F150. Maybe 1 or 2 years old. Haven't gotten a truck in 17 years so I'm not really sure what all to look for now. My list isn't very long. 4 door, 4wd, back up camera,and a 5.0 motor. One thing I'm curious is about hieght and tow rating. Do all F150's come with the same height and tow rating or do they have different models, and if so, what are they called. I know an F250 will come standard and what I call a tall boy. I just don't need an F250, but I want enough suspension to towna tractor once a year, and my 2000 f150 struggles really really bad,ainly the suspension.

T-N-T

From what I have seen out of newer half ton trucks is disappointing in the leaf spring load dept.

You can compensate greatly with load leveling hitches like used on campers. They will pick the rearend up several inches...
Also airbags.

The airbags will help you when you go to lowes and get lumber or landscape stones as well. ~$300

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
So, I guess my question is, are all F150's going to be the same load rating or is there like a super duty type F150.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there wasn't a HD version when I bought my 13, and I doubt it still. They are trying to raise the MPG and adding weight isn't the way to do that. To haul more, you have to add weight.

My 5.0 is rated at 8000 lbs towing. I say 4000 is about all you really want behind it. 400# of tongue weight will lower it a good 6inches

7 point

Matt I don't know much about the newer half tons but the dodges have coil springs don't seam very heavy duty to me

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I've read you can order a Max Payload package on new F-150s ~2400LB capacity, but it may only be available in a Supercab (extended cab) with the 8' bed. Very rare.
Often times, an optioned out F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, only leaves about 1500-1700 payload. When you load a heavy trailer, well you get over the limits pretty quick. Those max trailer ratings, get eaten up by payload maximums or rear axle maximums pretty quick. There is also a max tow package, but if I recall, it doesn't do a whole lot for the payload rating, it's more of a towing option package. In short, the more dressed up the truck is, and more doors, the less payload you have left.
Travel trailer example:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/question-about-cat-scale-numbers-392816.html

I've been following some of the camper towing discussions elsewhere, looks like the best kept secret is 2017 and up F-250, 6.2L gas. A Crew Cab 4x4 XLT has a payload around 3,200 LBS depending on how dressed up the truck is. Also the newer F-250 has great highway/driving manners. Often priced at/below a similar F-150 if you shop carefully. Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi falls in a similar range. A favorite is a Tradesman package, with Chrome package, power equipment group, and off road packages added to give you decent looks, and all the creature comforts you need. Plus all the 3/4 ton trucks now have factory trailer brake controllers, and often power trailer mirrors to boot.

Check this XL F-250 as an example, really a dressed up work truck, priced below F-150s. New leftover 2017, look at the options list. It, or one like it,would make a wonderful gas tow rig.
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=XGguTiMAXWq9Ps81VIBXB5GsPqwjl2f8KTRT%2B9LjxUPMKdO5AglTEepxJYqnyZtAExZcaeAfWEfjEP67TsNt%2F1rIxcLKALSNqIHl6PY%2F1UvTQ5y9x1tVq7%2F91r8ZfZl7PrtFRHMq0FFMqOSKA5JTBEfsFxkjqce6uht3jnjdiSw%3D
thumb_68b5ae007fdfe43046f6edd72896a4c0x.jpg

Edit: Not sure about putting the direct dealer link, but this one is at a Ford dealer down in Waycross.

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I had one of the 6.2l f250's last year for a little over a month as a rental, I absolutely loved it, and that's what I had plans to go after. I have a company vehicle and it's hard for me to justify buying a truck that just sits in the driveway, so our plan is trading in my wife's SUV, and her drive the truck for a couple years, then we will get her a new SUV and I'll "inherit" the truck. The f250 6.2 I had averaged about 12 mpg and it's to gas hungry for her. So I'm willing to drop down to an F150.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
For what it's worth, the redesign of the newer F-150s should be quite an upgrade in capacity from your current 2000 model. Aluminum body, better frame yields more payload capacity. Newer transmissions, help get the power to the ground as well. Caution on the helper/air spings, I use Firestone air springs on my old Ford van tow rig, but realize they don't change the overall gross vehicle weight rating, they just level the load.

2015 brochure for example:
https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2015

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Good point, and honestly, a newer f150 may be all I need, I've hady 2000 F150 for 17 years and I think the negatives of that really have me sensitive to having another truck that isn't used much as a real truck. So knowing I keep trucks for. Long long time makes me want something I know I will be happy with.

GAbuckhunter88

I have a 2017 F150 that I had an add a leaf installed on and it helped with the payload capacity. When towing my tractor the back doesn't squat down near as much.

T-N-T

I know you are a ford guy and I don't hold long term brainwashed ignorance against you... :whip:

But if I was to be buying a new 1/2 ton... I'd entertain the Nissan with a cummins very much.

rospaw

But if I was to be buying a new 1/2 ton... I'd entertain the Nissan with a cummins very much.

Now YOU are getting out of the box! ::ke: No newfangled trucks aloud. :bounce:

This is still a Ford/Chevy...and sometime dodge (not that often) truck world. We don't need no STINKIN SKINNY JEAN DRIVEN FOLKS...... trucks! :hair:

(even if they are better) :rolleyes:

T-N-T

Now YOU are getting out of the box! ::ke: No newfangled trucks aloud. :bounce:

This is still a Ford/Chevy...and sometime dodge (not that often) truck world. We don't need no STINKIN SKINNY JEAN DRIVEN FOLKS...... trucks! :hair:

(even if they are better) :rolleyes:

From what I see, they are better.
And cummins is a name that only gets down talked by truly uninformed, emotional loud talkers.:bounce:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Love the Titan XD Diesel concept, but max payload on a stripped Crew Cab 4x4 is only 2,000LBS. The engine is so heavy, it eats up available payload, so all that max trailer towing rating kinda falls flat, after you dress up the truck, and put gas, folks, and gear in it.
https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2018/2018-titan-xd-brochure-en.pdf

More useless gearhead stuff:

In Mattech's example, it will likely be a night/day difference between his 2000 truck and a 2015+. Power, weight, gearing.

If his truck has the 5.4L, (I like them alot, but they have to stay revved up to tow well). 260HP @ 4,500 and 350 ft/lbs. torque @ 3,500.

The new "little" 5.0L (302) Coyote has 385HP @ 5,750 and 387 ft/lbs. torque @ 3,850RPM. That's 48% more horsepower folks and nearly 11% more torque!

Combine that with a truck that weighs about 700 lbs. less beginning in 2015, (aluminum body), along with a 6-speed select shift transmission, (think 4 speed with 2 overdrives), closer gear ratios, lower 1 and 2nd gears... and you have a tremendous difference in trucks.

Lets go briefly back to the good ol' days for perspective-"Legendary" 1972+ Ford 460 big block only had 212HP and 342 ft/lbs torque with the 4BBL carb.

So, if you only haul that tractor twice per year, then game on, especially if the F-150 will be the wife's daily driver for a while.

Don't discount the 3.5L Ecoboost either, glitches long ago sorted out, 365HP @5,000 and 430 ft/lbs. torque @ 2,500! Even replacement turbo costs down the road aren't terrible.

Be sure to checkout the payload sticker on any truck you look at, also look for higher numerical (lower) gear ratio for better towing.

As much as I hate it, modern engine technology has made my hot rod engine building skills nearly a useless dinosaur. Daily drivers now have more power/torque/acceleration (usable), and less trouble, than my built up street cars of old.

Edit: more pot stirrin'... here's what could be a nice 2016 XLT Crew 4x4, with Sport Appearance Package, trailer tow package, 3.55 electronic locking rear axle, rear view camera, no pics but white with black interior. Swainsboro Ford.
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=o9YOPA8WqrbAIiun1aT67Ny3UzzUD3lDqxJNNSgD8TeRnEU2HzVjJwoffmN6FdwbezSN01NFtgbRVm9dPDH4zi0P%2BZ7M2eG7iC5LZUn%2BKE9%2BHywXHnNFLuqxmGpJwacOUKkbTri4GGKeXzjs7qyQ%2BrA8n0xjdpeUzlks3V1e8mk%3D

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I really appreciate the help normaldave. My 2000 f150 is the 4.6l. it's a good running engine, but has no power at all.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Well, I see your struggle with the tractor. I've had several of the 4.6L in Crown Vic or Marquis, fine little engines, but no torque to move a load. Trouble occurs as the timing chain tensioners go, you lose timing, power, then engine failure. Ticking/grinding noise in the front of the engine, metal shavings in the oil pan, sort of a bear to repair them.

Oh, and the 4.6L in your truck? just 220HP and 290 ft/lbs torque. Best gear you could get was 3.55 but some had 3.08 or 3.31 for gas mileage ratings, so the towing experience would be abysmal. It should be easy with careful shopping, to make a huge impact on your truck experience, without breaking the bank.

Work within your budget, the used ones sometimes seem to go for more than new. At the end of the day, however, any 5.0L Coyote F-150 with the 6 speed, and right gearing will be leaps and bounds better than what you have, so a well-maintained 2012 for example with higher mileage, maybe shouldn't be passed by?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Here is my truck with the tractor and a bush hawg. Notice I had to back the tractor as far as I could on the trailer because the bed was scrubbing the back tires.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180524-195601.jpg
    Screenshot_20180524-195601.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 146

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
It's not a great picture, but Photobucket won't let me save my pictures to my phone. Smh

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I guess we should keep in mind, all that extra power won't overcome a heavy trailer tongue weight, especially if your truck even with age, was scraping rear tires when loaded. The fuel thirsty 6.2L would make short work of it.

Crazy, used prices on Supercrew 4WDs... ~$ 4K more and you're in that loaded up, brand new F-250XL I posted earlier.

Sure enough, I've read they are giving really good incentives on the Titan XDs...