Zebco 33 - Not what they used to be?

SnowHunter

Teach your kids to use a real spinning real/rod. My Dad taught me at a very young age and I have never used anything else. You can use one for every type of fishing.

oh yeah, that what we were raised on, good spinners!! Although I got one a few months ago n went to use it, only to find I'd lost all coordination with one :banginghe :bounce:

R

redneckcamo

33s

caught many a fish on an older 33 ..!!! an on older open face reels .... most cheaper new stuff ya buy is junk an aint worth the plastic its made from ......the old 33s were good ole reels an kept clean an oiled up were like an energize bunny ..... althogh i have been known too dunk em fer lubrication as well :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

stasher1

Go with a rhino. It sounds cheesy, but I've heard that they work a little better than the newer 33's which are terrible. I know someone who got a platinum and it broke well within the first year.

I had trouble with my 33 Plat., but a quick email to Zebco and I had repair parts in less than a week. Whan I took it apart to repair it I discovered a spring had slipped off its post so I put it back on and stuck the repair parts in the tool box. They may come in handy some day, I suppose.

The regular 33's are junk. If you want a good reel get the ZO3 Omega. It cost about $55 but it reel's like a baitcaster. I've had both the ZO2 and ZO3 for a year now and love them.

While I was waiting on the repair parts for my 33 Plat., I picked up a Omega Z03. That's probably the nicest spincast reel available. It's smoother than some of the baitcast reels I've owned.

TROY13

I learned to fish with the ole Mitchell 300 spinning reel. That was a real reel in the day.

Workin2Hunt

Gone but not forgotten
I learned to fish with the ole Mitchell 300 spinning reel. That was a real reel in the day.

I still have my Mitchell 300A.

Also in response to the Zebco 33, I don't really care for the new ones, they feel real bulky. I guess I will have to go the same route. I was looking to get one for my son but the new ones are not it. I am going to try to find a couple on ebay as well.

AU Bassman

Bought a brand new 33 and it lasted 1 trip. What junk! If you are lucky you can find the old ones at yard sales ect. Take the cover and old line off and boil the reel in water, let dry regrease and respool. The older models are virtually indestructable. I have a few that were made in the late 70's and they work perfectly with a little care and maintenance. Zebco should be ashamed!

Yep I agree I had to save for two summers to get my first mitchell 300 back in 1974 I believe it was. I still have it and another one. Both still work well, but I don't use them much anymore. That reel and a pair of Converse All-Star shoes was all I dreamed about back then. $12.95 for the reel and $10.00 for the shoes.:offtopic:

Lostoutlaw

I have Three Rhino's and they are the Best I have ever used and I have used a ton o Zeb's

But now I use my baitcaster's more n anything else...

jmb27

Teach your kids to use a real spinning real/rod. My Dad taught me at a very young age and I have never used anything else. You can use one for every type of fishing.

Another vote for this approach. Sure, it will cost more $ initially, but will save you a lot more in the long run. Not too mention, that you and your kids will spend more time fishing and less trying to get crappy stuff to work.

If you pay $20 for a Zebco 33 combo for the kids and it is done after a few trips, you have to pay $20 again and again. Isn't it worth it to spend a little more initially and save lot more later?