Kevin Cox's top 10 tips for taking a mature buck with a bow, can we get 'em?

kevincox

Future Doc you are right. My favorite spot I usually only hunt it 2-3 times a year because of wind direction. I have to have a west wind only. Bow season does not have many west winds! But if I play my cards right I only need one hunt to get a good' un!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Great tips kevin.
Want an example of how critical the wind is. I found a rub line with 2 cedars as big as my thigh shredded in late october. I hunted with the correct wind. After the sun set the termals started pulling down hill. Thats okay i factored that in when i picked my tree. Well some does came along and kept hanging around. After it is to dark to shoot i hear a single deer walking through the woods. My heart sank as i realized the deer was going to go downwind. The deer stopped stamped its foot one time and turned around and went back the way it came. All buck sign dried up and the huge tracks i had been finding disappeared too.

kevincox

Yep, Been there and done that! Those dang thermals have ruined me before also. You can do every thing perfect and a downward thermal can ruin the hunt and your chances at a big boy!