Hay Bale Update

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Nice garden indeed!! What is the prep work involved before planting in the bales?

cjones

Nice garden indeed!! What is the prep work involved before planting in the bales?

Just saw that nobody responded to your post, so here goes...

It's pretty easy. Lay the bales on their side (straw cut ends up) and load them up with moisture to get them decomposing from the inside. First few days are water only, then you water in a cup or so of high nitrogen fertilizer for a few days, then finish off with straight water for a couple of days, and you're set!

I think this is the article that someone suggested here a while back. Pretty sure it's the 'recipe' I followed:

http://www.carolinacountry.com/carolina-gardens/carolina-gardens/straw-bale-gardening

treemanjohn

Banned
I was going to try straw bales this year, but I couldn't find a source that was reasonably priced. At $7/bale that adds up

cjones

I was going to try straw bales this year, but I couldn't find a source that was reasonably priced. At $7/bale that adds up

Yep. I found a place nearby that had them for $5.25 if you buy more than 10 bales. If I keep doing this, I'm going to have to spend some gas and get away from the city to find a road-side source for straw. Heck, I probably wouldn't even mind picking a truckload up in the field if I could get a good deal on it. $7/bale at Lowes/Home Depot is insanity.