Creating Transgendered Persimmon Trees: Updated 14 months later

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So, if you kept any original limbs on the tree could it self pollenate?

Yes, but there are loads of male persimmons around there anyway. And the Meader cultivar is mostly self-fertile. It will bear fruit without being pollinated by another tree, but they usually won't have seeds in them.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Yes, but there are loads of male persimmons around there anyway. And the Meader cultivar is mostly self-fertile. It will bear fruit without being pollinated by another tree, but they usually won't have seeds in them.

Very cool. Any way to know gender beside seeing fruit?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. Any way to know gender beside seeing fruit?

You can tell by the flowers. Male trees will have clusters of flowers, they are single on female trees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Update:

Looks like almost all of them are starting to take and grow. Here are some shots of a few that my buddy down there sent me when he checked them a couple days ago. I did a few peach and mulberries around home that are looking good, too.

Attachments

• persimmon1.png
    persimmon1.png
    791.2 KB · Views: 822
  • persimmon2.png
    persimmon2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 832
  • persimmon3.png
    persimmon3.png
    1 MB · Views: 830

pine nut

I'm curious... You indicated the scions are dormant and the rootstock is budding. Does this mean you cut the scions earlier and have somehow kept them dormant while waiting on the rootstock to bud, and if so, how? By refrigeration of scions?

Forest Grump

I'm curious... You indicated the scions are dormant and the rootstock is budding. Does this mean you cut the scions earlier and have somehow kept them dormant while waiting on the rootstock to bud, and if so, how? By refrigeration of scions?

Yes, you collect scion wood while dormant & put it in the fridge in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel until the bud wood is leafing out & the sap is flowing well so the graft will take. Check it every now & again in the fridge & if it is moldy swap out the towel for a new one. If you try to graft while both are dormant there is a much greater chance of failure, because the graft dries out. Paraffin film like he used really helps preserve moisture in the graft (but I have used wax from a ring you seal a toilet to the floor with:D). If you wait too late the graft may not harden off before winter.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Pretty cool

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Yep, what FG said. I cut the scion wood in early March, and keep it in the fridge.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you collect scion wood while dormant & put it in the fridge in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel until the bud wood is leafing out & the sap is flowing well so the graft will take. Check it every now & again in the fridge & if it is moldy swap out the towel for a new one. If you try to graft while both are dormant there is a much greater chance of failure, because the graft dries out. Paraffin film like he used really helps preserve moisture in the graft (but I have used wax from a ring you seal a toilet to the floor with:D). If you wait too late the graft may not harden off before winter.

This is the first time that I've used the parafilm, and I've been pretty impressed. I also used latex caulk to seal the cut surfaces and around the ends of the film.

The parafilm is already starting to biodegrade after a month; but there seems to be a good callous on the grafts, so it probably stayed long enough. Maybe next year I'll double-wrap it.

pine nut

Thanks for that info guys. I had thought about trying that grafting before but had not seen that mentioned before or didn't take note of it. At least if I try it now I'll be better informed! Thanks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the same tree in the original pic a month and a half later. Growing nicely.

downsize.jpg

Here is another one that I did at the same time-this one is a transgendered mulberry. I grafted scions from an Illinois Everbearing onto a wild male red mulberry seedling. The longest shoot is about a foot long now.

0615170910.jpg

Hoping to get some good growth by fall.

ucfireman

I need to learn your techniques. I have couple of apples Id like to graft on crab stock and would like to try the persimmon.
Looks good, hope they continue.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've seen so far, looks like I got about 90+% of takes with the bark grafting.

PappyHoel

That's pretty cool.

davidhelmly

This is a very interesting thread, I will definitely be keeping up with it. I hope they turn out good for you, any guess at how many years it will be before they bear fruit? :cool:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This is a very interesting thread, I will definitely be keeping up with it. I hope they turn out good for you, any guess at how many years it will be before they bear fruit? :cool:

Some of the new growth was already developing fruit this year that I had to pinch off to keep them growing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two and a half months later, I've got shoots 4 and 5 feet long on some of them. Growing like weeds.

Attachments

• 2.5months.jpg
    2.5months.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 424

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Looks like you are going to be very successful with the grafting. Congrats.

Latest posts