New to Savannah and Saltwater

Graphite

Ok I got it. You know Ft Stewart and hunter have some very good fresh water. Your dad can rent a boat at MWR cheap.

Those are my main stomping grounds and I normally borrow my friends kayak to fish out that way but the drive out there is just a little out of my radius and I wouldn't mind getting into some salt water fishing, seems like a lot more fun. I primarily bass fish and reds seems like the salt water brother of them haha. I stay off of Waters Ave in Savannah now and there's not much access to anything FW but I always see places like Vernon River etc that's 10mins away from me

I'm open to catch anything SW not targeting anything in particular, as long as something is biting and fighting.

Big7

The Oracle
Well I would have went out today then lol I felt like I would have got weird looks with one but at the same time I was tempted to go out with my frog rod. What about line? I have 50lb braid on it. I'm assuming I would still need a leader?

ANDE Monofilament. And you don't need 50# inshore.

20# (or less) will do the trick.
No need for a leader, UNLESS you are fishing where teeth are on a reef.

Then, you will need leader so you don't break off a mile of expensive line. Leader needs to be 5# lighter than
the backer. ;)

If teeth are around, nothing wrong with a a steel leader at the same test as your main line.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR DRAG.

Graphite

ANDE Monofilament. And you don't need 50# inshore.

20# (or less) will do the trick.
No need for a leader, UNLESS you are fishing where teeth are on a reef.

Then, you will need leader so you don't break off a mile of expensive line. Leader needs to be 5# lighter than
the backer. ;)

If teeth are around, nothing wrong with a a steel leader at the same test as your main line.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR DRAG.

Which type of hook/size and weight should I use for shrimp/squid?

Big7

The Oracle
1 ought' for trout if you are using shrimp.

2 or 3 ought for "if I don't know what will hit"..

Dropping on a reef, 4 and 5 will do you well.

Never know what will hit a squid.

Better to miss a small one than a big one.

Most saltwater fish (inshore) can handle a 5..

A small Grouper can eat a fish it's own size.

Graphite

1 ought' for trout if you are using shrimp.

2 or 3 ought for "if I don't know what will hit"..

Dropping on a reef, 4 and 5 will do you well.

Never know what will hit a squid.

Better to miss a small one than a big one.

Most saltwater fish (inshore) can handle a 5..

A small Grouper can eat a fish it's own size.

Circle/octopus hooks?

Jimmy Lee Armel

I'll have to stop by sometime when I get the cash to invest into some gear (if I need to)!!! I definitely need the help, lol. Aside from tybee what's around the Savannah area? I found some online references to docks that I could fish it, what should I expect in those areas? Vernon river is really close to where I love. Are there any public Access docks there?

Yepper. I'm not trying to sell you stuff. Trying to show you what you need to know to start out. There is a decent amount of knowledge around there. If I'm not on a trip and am hanging out, I'm usually in there showing someone something. I enjoy helping people catch fish.

Big7

The Oracle
Circle/octopus hooks?

Circle hooks are made to "hook" without you snatching.
Don't really matter if you watch your line. They are on, mostly on the bottom corner of the lip.

There are many others to try.

If you are a yank' and reel guy, I would go with
Tru Turn Hooks.

Eagle Claw, Mustad and a number of others are fine.

All those $5.00 per hook gigs are info-commercials.
Won't do a DANG thing a "regular", decent brand hook won't do...... ;)

Jimmy Lee Armel

I'll have to stop by sometime when I get the cash to invest into some gear (if I need to)!!! I definitely need the help, lol. Aside from tybee what's around the Savannah area? I found some online references to docks that I could fish it, what should I expect in those areas? Vernon river is really close to where I love. Are there any public Access docks there?

I was just going to show you exactly how we do everything you're asking about. A lot easier being shown than sorting through google and figuring out what works.