What is it?

BuckNasty83

When it comes to tree and plant identification, I suck. I know the difference between a white oak and red oak and a few evergreens and that's about it. I've been scouting different parts of our property and became curious what trees were around me. I've tried the tree ID sites and not feeling very secure with the outcome. With these 2 trees alone, I've gotten, poplar, maple, sycamore, some kind of oak, and even cucumber tree. I thought I could determine what a maple tree was until I used the tree id. That's how bad off I am.

The tree with the spots has leaves, that look like maple tree, but the big wide tree has almost identical leaf. The tree is too tall to get a pic of the leaves. It's probably close to 4ft wide. I've seen poplars with maple looking leaves and spade, so I'm just confused.

20170430_115626-768x1365.jpg

20170430_115701-1024x576.jpg

20170430_120922-768x1365.jpg

20170430_120913-1280x720.jpg

20170430_121109-768x1365.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
First one is hickory, second is either southern sugar maple or chalk maple (cant tell without seeing the bottom of the leaves,) and the third is hard to say from just the trunk. Looks kinda sweetgum-ish.

280bst

First one is hickory, second is either southern sugar maple or chalk maple (cant tell without seeing the bottom of the leaves,) and the third is hard to say from just the trunk. Looks kinda sweetgum-ish.

For what's it's worth I you are right again but the 3rd one seen some swamp maples pretty close to that pic also :cheers:

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
The leaves on that first one look more like an Ash than a Hickory.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, always thought hickory was a shaggy bark

There are tons of species of hickory. Shagbark, southern shagbark, red hickory, and a couple others have shaggy bark. Most species don't. Yours looks like either mockernut or pignut, can't tell from the pic.

The leaves on that first one look more like an Ash than a Hickory.

Definitely hickory. Ash has opposite leaves and twigs, and more uniformly sized leaflets.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Shag bark literally has the bark peeling away from tree, all up and down the trunk.

....And they are a real pain in the backside to try to get a climber up. Ask me how I know :banginghe

bulldawgborn

For what's it's worth I you are right again but the 3rd one seen some swamp maples pretty close to that pic also :cheers:

I was thinking red maple on the 3rd pic as well. Hard to say for sure.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Agree on 1 & 2. Don't know about the last one.