Turkeys while Deer hunting

DRBugman85

We have seen more turkeys this Deer season than in 10 years.While sitting in the stands Ive had more gobblers and jakes walking around in the oak bottoms than I have seen in a very long time. Groups of 8-10 gobblers and young 2 year olds and so many hens and jakes I don't have time to count them all. Our food plots has been scratched up and dusting spots everywhere. Just 1 problem no shooter bucks to see , Just 4 and 6 points and does. Mite have a good turkey season with all Ive seen this fall. Cant wait till MARCH. :cool::banana:

sowgabuckstalker

I am not seeing quite that many but same here, LOTS of turkeys seen while hunting and on cameras. Toms, jakes, hens! Now, HOW TO KEEP THEM THERE!!!

This is on my wifes smaller (180 acres But surrounded by many huge farms and know there's turkeys on most of those) farm where I deer hunt. Been hunting it for 5 or 6 years and have NEVER seen turkeys there. This is the first year I have fed all year, put in spring/summer plots and recently new fall plots.

Down4Count

I've seen 100's this year. I do not turkey hunt, but, I can tell you I've seen some grown birds while deer hunting. Seen 2, with beards between their legs dragging the ground. Maybe if there was a fall season.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I hunted all last week and had turkeys around me most of the time. Seeing more than usual. I deer hunt the same areas I turkey hunt so I hope they are still there come turkey season. They've been vary vocal to. A lot of yelping and cutting. Even heard gobbles 2 different mornings

jlt4800

I haven't seen turkey but have heard them in the distance...even heard a couple of gobbles which for a brief moment made me forget that I was hunting deer!!
This is good news for turkey hunters with all of the sightings!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We're covered up with them at my place. When the season comes they will disappear and we will have hot and cold running deer instead.

HermanMerman

A fall turkey season would be nice!

hawglips

Banned
Heard a lot of fall gobbling this morning. Witnessed a gaggle of 12 jakes sparring and 7 long beards running in to show them who's boss. Saw a bearded hen. Heard a call I've never heard before also. It was like that long note chickens make. I'm not sure if a hen, jake or gobbler made it, but I'm thinking it was a jake. Lots of very cool vocalization that you never hear in the spring. Probably the best day deer hunting I've ever had (and I didn't see a deer at all). A great way to start off Thanksgiving Day.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A fall turkey season would be nice!

We used to have a fall season here in South Georgia and I enjoyed it more than any other type of hunting. I doubt we ever get it back though.

hawglips

Banned
I played around with a flock of 8 toms and 8 hens while vacationing in TN this past weekend. Called the flock up twice without calls because I didn't have any with me. Had the longbeards within 18 yds one morning. Fall hunting turkeys is a blast (even if you're not carrying a gun).

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Have not hardly seen any at all up here.

DRBugman85

Went to the club before work yesterday morning and had 8-10 in the trees about 50 yards to my right just after day light they tree talked and flew down but not in the food plot about 15 minutes later 5 long beards came out on the far side of the plot scratched around for about 10 minutes then turned and went back into the woods.As I climbed down the hens came out to the food plot and paid no attention to me,I walked Within 50 yards and they just watch me walk.We have had a good hatch this year and hopefully it'll be a good spring.Come on March.

PappyHoel

I lost count on turkeys one day while in the stand. Lost count somewhere around 45. That's where I got my big tom last year. I knew right where they roosted.

Core Lokt

I usually don't see many turkeys on a property I hunt during deer season but come Spring they are everywhere.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I have never seen so many turkeys as I have this deer season. Our club in southeast GA is almost 2000 acres. I saw at least three groups that we're 12, 9, and 30. The larger group had longbeards and the smaller groups were hens and young. Many of them will be jakes in the spring so I suspect it will be another frustrating season. I saw way too many hens and young and only half a dozen shooters. It's a real good sign just not for now. I don't understand why the population boomed so hard and fast after less than a year. It could be a result of the timbering that is STILL going on but we also have big coyote problems. The turkeys are absolutely thriving right now. Come spring is another story.

DRBugman85

We have seen more turkeys this year on all 3 of our leases, groups of 8 to 20 hens and Jake's and groups of Gobblers 5-10.Sad thing is that the big buck have gone nocturnal. IMG950051-1-1.jpg .The does and yearlings are thick as the turkeys.:fine:

trkyhnt89

We have got big fall flocks all over our property right now. Gobblers, jakes, hens...... the most turkey noise you will hear all year.