Wild hog sausage question

notsob17

Looking to make some wild hog sausage (links). I want to get a moist and juicy sausage as close to standard pork sausage as possible, as far as texture, moistness, etc. I have been cutting my deer sausage 60% deer and 40% pork fat. It has good flavor but still comes out a little dry. Will i be better off cutting the hog meat with pork fat or ground pork shoulder? And what percentage?

little rascal

Wondering....

I am curious to see the answer to you post.
Also I have asked many times, but never got a direct answer?
Can you eat the fat on a wild hog, or is it nasty and useless like deer fat?
I have made many a sausage but never with wild hog.
I have eaten(gave to me) wild hog and it was very good, but did not know how or what was used in the mix.

notsob17

I have eaten(gave to me) wild hog and it was very good, but did not know how or what was used in the mix.

Rascal , since I never got any feedback I went on and gave it a shot. I had a 50lb ish sow. I got 17lb's of meat off of her. I did cut all the meat out between the ribs. It seemed much cleaner than deer rib meat,,,as in not as much sinew, fat, etc. I wanted to make a good bit of sausage so I decided to add 12lbs of boston butt to it as well and cut it with 40% pure pork fat. With all the fat on the Boston Butt I am probably looking at 50%. I ended up with right around 40lbs total and I used 2 packets (plus a little bit of another pack I had left over) of the Leggs #10 blend. I added some red pepper flakes as well. I fried a paddy up and it was real good. Curious to how the links will taste.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member

We normally keep some of the fat on the meat from a wild hog, but if it has alot of fat I usually trim some of it off. The fat taste fine, but last year in-particular I had where the fat did not grind down very good which left chunks of fat in the sausage. Cooked fine in breakfast sausage, but I picked it out for other dishes.

Dan30257

Last time I killed a hog I did the majority of it in sausage links (myself). I didn't remove a lot of the fat when I skinned it out, and I cut it with its own fat plus a little bit of beef fat I grabbed at the grocery store. If you call the meat dept in the morning, they'll save the trimming throughout the day for you. I think I paid like $5 for 10lbs of beef fat. I ground it and mixed it until it looked like store bought sausage, then used the stuffer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

The flavor of wild hog fat depends on what the hog has been eating. It's not tallow like deer fat, though. It has the same basic consistency as regular pork fat, and the flavor can range from bitter to like domestic lard.