South Texas Rio Recommendations??

CharrDad

I'm going to be in the hill country of Texas next spring for a business conference and don't want to pass up the opportunity to chase a Rio.

The state is divided into zones with different seasons and based on the dates of my visit, I'll need to hunt the southern zone (southwest part of the state, mostly below the panhandle).

I'd welcome any tips or outfitter recommendations for that part of the state. If I plan it right, I should have 2 full days to hunt but might be able to stretch that to 3 if necessary. I'm hoping to find a DIY ranch but am open to fully guided opportunities if they fit the budget. My understanding is that public land is hard to find down that way, but I'm open to that if anyone knows of a workaround.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Gut_Pile

Pretty much the only public land is going to be on the eastern side of the state, and the birds are easterns.

If you can swing it, go spend a day or two at the King Ranch. You shouldn't have a problem killing a turkey there

CharrDad

Thanks for the quick reply Gut_Pile. I took a look at the King Ranch website. Man, that looks like a great place to spend a few days... Unfortunately, it's way outside my budget. Almost 2K for a turkey hunt. I'm hoping to find something sub-1K but would prefer to find something even more affordable (maybe $750 for a DIY hunt).

Gut_Pile

I'm sure they are out there, but most Texas hunts now are over $1k.

I would join some Texas hunting forums and see if maybe you could work out a deal with some folks out that way, or find a ranch to work out a deal with that doesn't advertise as much.

CharrDad

both are good ideas. Thanks.