Brook trout fishing?

whitetailfreak

Fine looking vittles NCH. Headed to Bone Valley on Hazel Creek tomorrow for a Decoration. I'm trying to decide if taking my flyrod is worth the tongue lashing I'd get from my grandmother. I sure would like to slip up to Desolation Branch before dinner. I can hear her now "boy you orn't be a fishin' on Sundy".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fine looking vittles NCH. Headed to Bone Valley on Hazel Creek tomorrow for a Decoration. I'm trying to decide if taking my flyrod is worth the tongue lashing I'd get from my grandmother. I sure would like to slip up to Desolation Branch before dinner. I can hear her now "boy you orn't be a fishin' on Sundy".

Sounds just like my Grandma was. :)

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
According to family lore, one of my dad's cousins (would that be my second cousin?) held the Georgia state record for a while. 19 inches. Marion (Cantrell?) He lived near the base of Tray Mountain between Helen and Batesville. I believe that fish was from Waters Creek.
According to this chart I found, it would weigh a little under 3 lb.
He also reportedly had a 34 in Brown from way up Dukes Creek at a point where the creek was less than 34 in wide, he said.
I always loved his stories, he was the true mountain man (in MY mind) of the far reaches of my family. Cannot think of him these days without a prayer in my heart...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170703-083416.jpg
    Screenshot_20170703-083416.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 340

Tentwing

Took a while to find this pic. Then I had to figure out how to post it.This was from about 1996.

Tentwing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 299

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Took a while to find this pic. Then I had to figure out how to post it.This was from about 1996.

Tentwing

Man, that's a fat one! I bet he put up a tussle on that fly rod. That's a stocked northern, though-not a SA native.

whitetailfreak

Tentwing

That's a dandy there. I've caught several 16-17 inchers in the hatchery supported streams than feed South shore of Fontana Lake.

Last edited:

The mtn man

That's a dandy there. I've caught several 16-17 inchers in the hatchery supported streams than feed South shore of Fontana Lake.

Yep, and fires creek delayed harvest has some real hogs in there.

Tentwing

Man, that's a fat one! I bet he put up a tussle on that fly rod. That's a stocked northern, though-not a SA native.

NCHillbilly,

I'm certain that Brookie started out life living on the tax payers dime.;) , yes even for a stocker she put quite a bend in that 70 year old bamboo.... I didn't have a measuring tape, but I can tell this. That rod is a 9 foot 6 inch 6 weight Heddon model #35 , and from the winding check to the signature wrap is exactly 16 inches ,and there is plenty of fish left over.:D

To this day I wonder how that fish came to be in the little creek where I caught her?

Tentwing

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCHillbilly,

I'm certain that Brookie started out life living on the tax payers dime.;) , yes even for a stocker she put quite a bend in that 70 year old bamboo.... I didn't have a measuring tape, but I can tell this. That rod is a 9 foot 6 inch 6 weight Heddon model #35 , and from the winding check to the signature wrap is exactly 16 inches ,and there is plenty of fish left over.:D

To this day I wonder how that fish came to be in the little creek where I caught her?

Tentwing

They show up in some funny places, and have the instinct to head upstream. Looks like that one spent some time on the lam. :)

ripplerider

NCHillbilly,

Tentwing

Ran upsream in search of cooler water. I caught an 18 1/4" brookie out of Nottely river years ago. They had stocked some brood fish that winter, my buddy caught a 16"er the same day. All I have is a Polaroid picture of it I'll try to get it scanned in to my computer.