High Tide Techniques For Reds & Trout

WilcoSportsman

Does any one have any techniques for catching fish on high tide?

Predominantly fish the last couple hours of the outgoing and the incoming tide until the water gets past the grass.

Once the water gets past the grass the bite turns off at my spots and I head back to the dock.

I've read about poling the flats and casting for tailing reds, but my 16' flat bottom Carolina skiff poles like a Frisbee with a little wind.

Thanks for the input.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
When the water gets in the grass, I wade. The shorter grass has a firm bottom; it's the taller grass along creeks that has soft bottoms.

Day trip

Don't go in at low tide. Find structure and mark it (while your doing that, stop and give the flounder a chance)

WilcoSportsman

GLS - What kind of rig do you use when you're throwing into the grass? Also, live bait or artificials?

Daytrip - When you're fishing structure, are you using a bottom rig? Have you had success fishing oyster beds that were exposed at low water once the tide came all the way up?

Thanks for the advice.

trippcasey

Fish all of the structure you see at low tide when its underwater at high tide. Many of my spots are high and dry at low tide. You will catch fish using the same techniques as you usually do at low tide. I love submerged oyster rakes. Usually these are a good bit out of water at low tide. They hold bait (some do) at high tide, and in turn hold fish. Run a popping cork over these and you should get the rod to bend. I like to pitch soft plastics around these rakes at high tide too. Any structure that is submerged at high tide stands a chance of holding fish. Not all of the bait goes into the grass. Reds eat anything, so don't limit yourself to just thinking like a shrimp when chasing reds. Same with trout. Big trout eat smaller predator fish searching around the rakes for food. I've pulled 8" trout out of several 20+" trout bellies. I actually prefer to fish high tide because of all of the submerged structure that holds nice fish.