Cleaning Grout

CamoDawg85

Does anyone have any tried and true recipes to clean grout? I have a medium bristle and hard bristle brush to scrub it if need be but curious what others have used with (or without) success. Would appreciate feedback on anything to stay away from also.

We sealed it when installed but after 3 yrs it's become more of a dark tan/light brown in the heavy traffic zones. Color is light tan. Thanks in advance!

1gr8bldr

My shower is my biggest enemy. Usually brush it, then Tilex, which I have found to be the best of those I have tried. The tilex works very well if not to much build up. However, today I tried something. I have 3 pressure washer ranging in sizes. I used my electric pressure washer, not one of these plastic versions but the same pump found on most gas models. As much as I tried not to let it, moisture built up on the ceiling. The pressure washer cleaned the tile/grout at 50%. It did not work as well as I had hoped, so my special pistol wand rather than rifle size wand was a waste of money. I then sprayed it with tilex. The tilex worked best I had ever seen because it was half cleaned already. Experiment fail, LOL, but now I know, it don't work well enough to do it again. Once dry, I'll seal the grout. It will last about 3 months before it wears off

Jim Baker

Staff member
I spray the grout with a mixture of 1/3 Tide, 1/3 clorox, 1/3 water. Combine and shake well. The laundry detergent thickens the mixture, keeps it from splattering as bad and keeps it in the grout lines.

Let that sit for about 15 minutes then sprinkle comet over the grout lines. Take a med. brush and brush in the comet with the liquid. Let sit for a couple of hours. Then scrub again spraying with a little of the mixture if necessary. Wipe up with old towel then mop as normal.

Re-seal asap.

Painted the grout in the water closet that was smoked up in fire. Didn't replace it because we only had enough to replace the tub and shower area. About 3 years ago. It has held up well, but was a tedious job.

WayneB

steamer-cleaner works for me.

Had a pretty stubborn spot where something oily hit the grout in the kitchen, no cleaner would get it clean.
Wifey wanted to go spend $150 on a steam wand doohickey, and I remembered having picked up a wallpaper steamer years ago to remove some unauthorized paper border in a rental house.
Filled that rascal up, ditched the rectangle steam plate and aimed the bare hose at the grout. I actually worked.

Wifey ended up with her fancy doodad steam cleaner thingy, I think it's been used 2-3 times..

I use a similar mixture to Jimbo's on my fiberglass skinned camper, it removes about everything, everywhere.

rospaw

steamer-cleaner works for me.

Had a pretty stubborn spot where something oily hit the grout in the kitchen, no cleaner would get it clean.
Wifey wanted to go spend $150 on a steam wand doohickey, and I remembered having picked up a wallpaper steamer years ago to remove some unauthorized paper border in a rental house.
Filled that rascal up, ditched the rectangle steam plate and aimed the bare hose at the grout. I actually worked.

Wifey ended up with her fancy doodad steam cleaner thingy, I think it's been used 2-3 times..

I use a similar mixture to Jimbo's on my fiberglass skinned camper, it removes about everything, everywhere.

Yep! Steamer works well. Also Zep makes a product that homedepot carries that works very well. Zep and steam was the ticket i used. Fooling with rental properties it was a must!

Side note of a great product:
Another product sold at HD for carpet spots / upholstery / laundry ect. It IS AMAZING stuff called Folex. A gallon i think is about 15 and quart spray about 6 bucks. It is a MUST to have. Stuff will clean spots/stains like you have never seen. Small company that HD buys direct from. Not many companies like this anymore. I think this is the only product they make or it use to be when i started buying it 10 years ago.

CamoDawg85

Great info guys, keep them coming and I much appreciate the feedback. If anybody else has any alternatives please chime in. Going to try it either this weekend or weekend after next.

natureman

When you do get it clean you need to reseal it. I use 2 coats of Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice Gold. HD carries it. I built my tile shower 5 years ago and have yet to see any mold. Just soap scum which is easily removed.

Old Winchesters

muriatic acid mixed 25% acid 75% water - vetilate well - very well. spray on let sit 30 sec 1 min and rinse twice, dry and seal. You can find it in the concrete area at Lowes or at pool supply stores