New seed spreader

1gr8bldr

I purchased a new seed spreader for my ATV. The best one I could find. now i want to protect my investment. It has a lot of metal. And heavy. I refabed it to fit my basket on the front of my ATV rather than the typical bolt down. I can now take it on and off easily. However, the welding of the frame, with all this metal seems like potential rust. I primed the welds and bolts and repainted with a finish coat. Should I put it to work as is.... or is their something I should coat it with first. My dad always coated his seeders with oil. But I do not recall if it worked. It seems like it would hold fertilizer residue? Coat or not? If so, what with?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Paint it first ....... then use it, and wash it down afterwards. If you used fertilizer, get in there with a scraper and get it all out. Let it dry, then, "I" use a mix of used motor oil and diesel fuel, 50/50 and just leave it on there till you use it again. My spreader, which is all metal, is going on 5 years and holding up well! Pic is from when it was new.

This set of discs is a 1965 model ...... has always been coated the same way, when finished. The discs stay rust free and are ready to cut.

Attachments

• Spreader.jpg
    Spreader.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Discs.jpg
    Discs.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 386

GeorgeShu

I assume by coating you mean the inside of the seed box and the disk that disperses the seed. I would not coat it prior to use. I want the seeds to slide down easily and anything that would tend to hold the seed, like oil, would mean you may have to shake the box to get th seeds to flow.
After you are finished seeding, clean thoroughly, then clean once more and apply a light coat of oil to any metal moving parts. Check the metal areas around the welds and any other areas where the paint may have been scratched or worn off. Repaint if needed. Let it dry then store it inside in a dry place with air movement.
Protect your investment and it will give you many years of good service.

davidhelmly

I’ve got the identical spreader and have used it for the last 3-4 years, the only problem I’ve had was that the VSC-10 didn’t work this year when I got ready to use it so I just wired a simple on/off toggle switch to it.