Sighting in at 50 yards

cam88

I've sighted some of my rifles in at 50 yrds and use the Nikon app to adjust accordingly..

transfixer

If you're only going to shoot 50-75yds, then zeroing at 50yds is okay, won't matter. But the longer you zero in for, the more precise you'll be, and as others have said, your scope should have an adjustable eyepiece to compensate for your vision.

hooksnhorns

I may be wrong, but I believe he was just curious as to who else on here does that. He wasn't asking if he was right or wrong. That's the way I took it.

transfixer

I may be wrong, but I believe he was just curious as to who else on here does that. He wasn't asking if he was right or wrong. That's the way I took it.

You're right, I lost track of that in reading the whole thread, lol

I typically sight in at either 100yds or 200yds, depending on the rifle I'm shooting, I just like to be as precise as I can be, but I'm a little ocd when it comes to accuracy. :)

hooksnhorns

You're right, I lost track of that in reading the whole thread, lol

I typically sight in at either 100yds or 200yds, depending on the rifle I'm shooting, I just like to be as precise as I can be, but I'm a little ocd when it comes to accuracy. :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm very ocd when it comes to accuracy or sighting in.

Lukikus2

A buddy always sights his dead on at 50, he missed..according to him... a 130 class on my property last year. He said the deer was maybe 60 yards. He showed me where it was standing and it was more like a 100, we shot his rifle at 100. It was 4in high, and 3in left. That is the possible difference I am talking about.

This ^^^^^^

Bob Wallace

I usually sight in a brand new scope at 25 yards. Get the windage right and the elevation about an inch high. Then take a few shots at 100yards to make any fine tune adjustments.

coolbreezeroho

So shooting a 3030 with a 150 grain If I'm one inch high at 50 yards I will be about dead on at a 100 yard ? This is using a peep sight.

Thinking about using the 3030 when I'm in the thick stuff and scouting for rub lines

Last edited:

Bigmonk96

I zero all my rifles @ 50yds. -- .270,25-06,308,30-06,7mm-08, and none have over 3" movement,within 200 yds. -- same can be said for the 100yd. zero** -- I'm old and only take neck shots ( 5 inch target ) -- the boiler room shot is much bigger**-- can't see past 100yds so if he walks by at 200 yds,I never see him -- range time is your best friend ( trust your rifle & your eye ) -- good luck, Monk**:)

bullet drop chart**bullet.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
So shooting a 3030 with a 150 grain If I'm one inch high at 50 yards I will be about dead on at a 100 yard ? This is using a peep sight.

you would still need to prove that I think. Running 2390fps federal 150gr loads .1 @ 50, zero @ 100, & 2.2 at 150 according to their data

coolbreezeroho

Thanks Jester896...I will sight in for 50 and see what I can do at 100 on a target . Pretty sure 50 to 75 will be my limit. Something about getting old makes these eyes not see as good.

Jester896

Senior Clown
with your 1" at 50 you may be 1.5 high @ 100 and 0 at 150 using those same figures.
you would need to prove any of it "in your rifle"

GunnSmokeer

When I'm hunting in the woods where I expect a 50 yard shot, and where anything more than 100 yards is just IMPOSSIBLE because of all the bushes and shrubs and weeds and trees around me, I do zero my rifle (either .243 or .308) at 50 yards, dead-on.

Such a zero on a .243 with 100 grain bullets gives me less than an inch of rise at 100-150 yards, then I get my second "zero" point at 160 yards.
At 200 yards, I'm only 1.5" low. Not enough to even bother holding-over for. I can't see 1.5 inches of movement of the crosshair at 200 yards anyway!

For the slower-moving .308 with a soft point round, my 50 yard zero also gets me a second zero at 130 yards, and at 200 I'll be 3.25" inches low. That's just barely enough to notice and attempt to compensate for, but if you forget and just aim dead-on, hitting 3 and 1/4 inches below the crosshairs will still bag your game.

(All calculations from gundata.org).