Work Advice

ribber

My company is hinting at putting 4 people under me and a few other extra responsibilities. I was also pegged for Six Sigma training and will be doing projects.
This will be quite an extra load and I'm one of the lowest paid salary folks at the facility (someone hacked HR several months back and posted everyone's salary).
There has been no mention of an increase and the new owners do not have a history since they've owned us (@2 years) of giving equal money for equal work. For example, they have dumped a lot of extra work and responsibility on a few others with no more, or very little more salary.
We are having a big meeting tomorrow to discuss this 'restructure' and I need advice. How should I approach this? I could be totally wrong, but I have a feeling that I'm about to be stiffed. But at the same time, it could be an opportunity and I'd hate to upset the wrong people.

WaltL1

Take any extra training and responsibilities they will give you.
If nothing else it makes you better qualified for a higher position somewhere else if they don't come off the hip with more money in the future.
Also once you have gotten that training and added responsibilities do your research on salary levels in your industry for a person with those skills/responsibilities and have it available when it comes time to ask for a raise.
If they know that you know what your position should pay they will be much more likely to play ball.

My $.02:

Loyalty to any employer will only hurt your earnings. Not everyone out there is worthy of your talents. I would begin looking now.

transfixer

Take any opportunities for more training, even if you plan on leaving later at some point, having the extra training and extra duties on our resume will only help down the line , as others have said, keep an open mind until you see how they plan on doing things, don't prejudge their intentions, never know what might happen.

SC Hunter

If they offer the training take it. It will do nothing but better you as an employee whether its for the company your with now or somewhere else.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Take your boss to lunch and ask him if your increased responsibilities will come with an increase in pay. Don't beat around the bush. If he says no, ask him why not.

NOYDB

BANNED
Take any and all co paid training. Keep your CV up to date and ready. Be ready to move if an opportunity presents itself. Have your feelers out.

Patriot44

Banned
Babysitting grown folks (managing) is a lot of work, even with just four. Agree with the above, see what shakes out then ask your boss to lunch to have a open conversation.

1gr8bldr

Loyal is a good quality. However, it seldom gets a pay increase. Restructures are usually a way to shave the payroll budget. Which means more responsibility for those who did not get cut. See what else might be out there. Does not hurt to look. Then you might get an increase to stay. How this will play out; they will juggle a few to different positions. They will let a few go, then comes the disgruntaled time period when everyone is over worked, over stressed. Production/progress is delayed because workers are spread to thin. A few will quit that will magnify the damage from letting a few go. It's possible also that you lose a few simply because the worry of restructure, some like yourself, who looked elsewhere , and a few weeks later, get a job offer elsewhere. So, cutting workers, workers who found another job and workers who quit due to the stress. It grows exponentially. Your managers are probably inexperienced and taking orders from the top to "restructure". Little does anyone know what is about to happen.

ribber

I'm loyal by default. Moving won't be an option for at least 2 more years. The nearest place that's in my field is hour away and I'm not opposed to a commute but there's nothing available there at this time. In other words, I'm not sure I'm willing to bolt if they call my bluff.
I'm going to take on the extra responsibility and training with hopes of more money, but not expecting much.
I have supervised people in the past and was promised more money, praised, and given great reviews but the paycheck never got bigger. So, I'm trying to avoid this again. Maybe I'm selling myself short and not aggressive enough in my approach?
This is a typical corporate environment and I don't know how to 'play the game' apparently.

harderthansoft

This is very common in the work place. The folks that are sorry seem to get away with doing very little. The ones that are go getters and think its going to reap rewards soon find out there is no more money at the end of the month.

ribber

Well, it was worse than I originally expected.
I'm now over 8 people, not 4. And, in two separate areas. Only got a $6500 raise which is WELL below my peers.
Was told the same old song: if things go well, it will be more blah, blah, blah.
I'm done. Will be taking the next train out.
I guess nice guys and folks that do a good job really do finish last.

GoldDot40

I'm now over 8 people, not 4. And, in two separate areas. Only got a $6500 raise which is WELL below my peers.
Was told the same old song: if things go well, it will be more blah, blah, blah.
Don't blame you if you're not happy. One thing I WILL NOT tolerate is somebody taking advantage of my hard work without fair compensation/rewards.

Mexican Squealer

If you can afford to break away, go for it. My ol man told me from an early age to never walk away from a job unless you have a better oppprtunity IN PLACE. Good luck to you

NOYDB

BANNED

What do you want? Decide and then negotiate from there.

Be realistic about what your requirements are, how much and when. What will you do if they don't meet your requirements?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Take the job and do better at it than anyone else. Even if the company crashes you have a better resume.

sinclair1

Looks like you equate your stress with head count and responsibility. I have 50 and would take 8 more for $6500 more. :flag:

We all have our deal breakers and mine is time. You didn't mention time, so I guess that's not where you place value.

I would probably bail if my hours went up for $6500, but 8 heads for $6500 sounds ok to me.

WaltL1

Actually, folks that do a good job get 8 people put under them and a $6500 raise..... and about a 1,000 more headaches ;)

If you DIDN'T know what your peers made would you be satisfied with what they are paying you for the position?
That's the real question.
If the answer is no then taking the next train out is probably a good decision.