Replaced Wood Floor in Trailer

ribber

I replaced the 2x8 boards in the floor of my trailer yesterday. I used pressure treated lumber. Should I paint them or just leave it alone?

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
But a good exterior stain will. ;)

Wait a few weeks until the lumber dries out good before applying several coats of the exterior stain of your choice.

What ever you buy, don't buy Thompsons. Behr is hard to beat..

GA native

Depends on how wet the wood is. I've seen PT lumber that was bone dry off the racks. And I've seen it ooze when I slapped a nail in it.

In general, I give PT lumber a few months to dry before I seal it. And I'm not a fan of painting floors. An oil based stain penetrates deeper and resists scratching better than paint.

swamp hunter

Stain it when it's dryed out.
If not you will have traffic dirt ground in and black trails where you walk the most.
Buy the best stain they sell , or redo it every couple years.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I replaced the 2x8 boards in the floor of my trailer yesterday. I used pressure treated lumber. Should I paint them or just leave it alone?

Are you talking about a hauling trailer or living? I put linseed oil on my hauling trailer boards

ribber

Sorry I should have specified, it's a 6x12 utility trailer.
The new boards are pretty wet, so I'll wait a few months and let them dry out.

transfixer

Are you talking about a hauling trailer or living? I put linseed oil on my hauling trailer boards

Doesn't that make them slick if they're damp or wet ? I just put new 2 x 8's in my 6x16 utility trailer, when they dry out I'll be wanting to seal them somehow as well.

southernman13

They'll shrink up when they dry as well. I've decked quite a few and had to rip boards and beat em in with sledge hammer. Little while later there's gaps between all of em. I don't think painting or staining will so much. Usually the demise is where you put the screws in. That promotes rot.

rospaw

I shouldn't be posting this but!
I bought a older 16' equip trailer (came with a Farmall cub) that the guy had decked with PT pine a few months earlier. Buddy said bring it by the shop and we can persevere it. Used transmission fluid and old diesel 50/50 mix. He laid it on, dripping wet. Then did it again the next day. That was 6-7 years ago and it still looks great with no soft/rot anywhere. Not even slick in the rain. Not saying it's the best idea just but hey, It worked.

K80Shooter

I bought a older 16' equip trailer (came with a Farmall cub) that the guy had decked with PT pine a few months earlier. Buddy said bring it by the shop and we can persevere it. Used transmission fluid and old diesel 50/50 mix. He laid it on, dripping wet. Then did it again the next day. That was 6-7 years ago and it still looks great with no soft/rot anywhere. Not even slick in the rain. Not saying it's the best idea just but hey, It worked.

Any cheap oil will also work. Cheap hydraulic oil is used a lot.

GA native

Any cheap oil will also work. Cheap hydraulic oil is used a lot.

I use old motor oil on my trailer deck. I pick a nice hot, dry August day, and apply about two quarts. It's cheap, it's plentiful, and it does a good job. The oil is slick after the first rain, but once the excess oil is washed off, the deck is fine.

That deck is 15 years old now. I can't say it is still like new, but it is solid.

Now when I get around to re-decking that trailer, I have a half a can of CW-Flood that I'll apply to the new boards.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Old motor oil mixed with diesel fuel works very well. I also sprayed underneath to protect from road spray.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Did you paint the metal where the boards touch the trailer. I replaced the metal bottom of my trailer with 5/4 PT about five years ago. 5x8 utility. Floor was rusting out and could not justify a 5x8 sheet of metal. Any way, just replace again. Had to replace a couple of angle iron stringers that the PT had all but rusted through. I painted the metal with some bedliner paint and used untreated lumber I treated with burnt motor oil.

I would not put PT lumber on a trailer due to the effect on the metal. If I did I would paint the wood where there was contact.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV

Old motor oil mixed with diesel fuel works very well. I also sprayed underneath to protect from road spray.

No doubt !! This will last a looooooong time. Just not Eco friendly nowadays . .

Killdee

I bought a 5x8 trailer 10-12 years ago, pt 2x6s, never did a thing, still solid as ever. PT is good for 20 years or so, the newer stuff I don't know??

bany

Good oil stain on every surface after it dries. Probably can’t beat real petroleum but it’s frowned upon isn’t it.
In the hills of Pennsylvania there are various wood items laying around from the oil days in great condition!

Latest posts