GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWF III View Post
Several years ago I went the "traditional" route all season. I hunted with a SRC 1892 in .44-40 and a original SRC Trapdoor in .45-70. I decided to give it up when I had to sit there and watch a buck, near 150 class, walk across the field at 250 yards. What made me sick is knowing I had a 300 WM sitting in the truck. Never saw that buck again. No one had pictures of it before or after I saw it. It just happened to be passing through.

Wyman
Exact same thing happened to me many years ago when I decided to use my .50 caliber Hawken on our one and only doe day instead of my scoped Model 70. Of course the only deer I saw that day was a buck bigger than any I had ever shot, or even ever seen before, crossing a cutover 200 yards away. No way should I have taken a shot with those open sights -- but I did anyway (I was young and dumb). Fortunately, it was a clean miss, as the big boy just stopped, looked around for the source of the commotion, then continued on his merry way.

Now, when I hunt with what should be considered a short-range rifle, (like my .32 Remington), I only hunt stands where any deer that approaches can only be seen in close quarters, well within the effective range of the weapon.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 PM

I guess an Encore Pistol in .338 Federal that I will try this year might qualify also
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 AM

I’m using two. A .240 Weatherby Mag and a .257 Weatherby Mag, not at the same time LOL. Also considering shooting one with my .416 Taylor just to actually take something with it. I think the three are a bit uncommon, interesting observation, i didnt see .30-30, although VERY common, doesn’t seem to be in use much anymore, kudos to the 7-30 Waters,
Old 10-17-2017, 06:22 AM

I have a .257 Weatherby Magnum, if that falls into the "interesting caliber" category.

I set it up as my longer range hunting rifle.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly Bugger View Post
Iím using two. A .240 Weatherby Mag and a .257 Weatherby Mag, not at the same time LOL. Also considering shooting one with my .416 Taylor just to actually take something with it. I think the three are a bit uncommon, interesting observation, i didnt see .30-30, although VERY common, doesnít seem to be in use much anymore, kudos to the 7-30 Waters,
When I was looking for a cape buffalo caliber to take to Africa, I considered the Taylor because you can fit it into a standard length action and still get .416 Rigby ballistics -- an old and respected buffalo/elephant thumper.

Being obsessed with "tradition" however, I opted for the .404 Jeffery, and have never looked back (even though I now have added a .458 Lott and two .375 H&Hs to my African battery).
Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM

I will be toting a Ruger # 1 Stainless chambered in 6.5X55 this fall, and a Ruger M-77 chambered in 350 Rem. Mag.

Both were Christmas gifts to me from my Dad, and I would like to kill a deer with each one before he passes!!
Old 10-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTTNBUCK View Post
I will be toting a Ruger # 1 Stainless chambered in 6.5X55 this fall, and a Ruger M-77 chambered in 350 Rem. Mag.

Both were Christmas gifts to me from my Dad, and I would like to kill a deer with each one before he passes!!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ruger M77, Mark II, in .350 Remington Magnum utilizes a standard-length action (as opposed to a short action, like all the Remington's in this caliber). This allows a shooter to utilize all the available .358 bullet weights and load them to their full potential without having to seat them so deep as to infringe on powder space.

This was always my biggest knock on the .350 Rem. Mag., as why have a magnum rifle that you can't load to magnum velocities?

I have somewhat of the same problem with my .358 Winchester built on a Remington Model 600 action. The short action and magazine of the 600 prevents me from loading high BC, 250 grain bullets. Fortunately, the .358 performs very well with 225-grain bullets, and if I really need .250s, I can just switch to my Model 70 in .35 Whelen, which has plenty of room for the big bruisers.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHUNTER60 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ruger M77, Mark II, in .350 Remington Magnum utilizes a standard-length action (as opposed to a short action, like all the Remington's in this caliber). This allows a shooter to utilize all the available .358 bullet weights and load them to their full potential without having to seat them so deep as to infringe on powder space.

This was always my biggest knock on the .350 Rem. Mag., as why have a magnum rifle that you can't load to magnum velocities?

I have somewhat of the same problem with my .358 Winchester built on a Remington Model 600 action. The short action and magazine of the 600 prevents me from loading high BC, 250 grain bullets. Fortunately, the .358 performs very well with 225-grain bullets, and if I really need .250s, I can just switch to my Model 70 in .35 Whelen, which has plenty of room for the big bruisers.
Negative. My stainless Ruger is a short action. I'm not aware of any factory 350s built on a long action.
John 3:16
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtaker View Post
Negative. My stainless Ruger is a short action. I'm not aware of any factory 350s built on a long action.
Then I stand corrected! However I remember reading an article by one of the gun gurus about a bolt action .350 Rem. Mag. on a standard length action, and how that combo allowed the round to reach it's full potential.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHUNTER60 View Post

Actually I have no idea, but I think it is a standard length action........About the same length as my 30-06, this gun was made in the late 1960's to early 1970's so it does not carry the Mark II designation
Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Default 350 Rem Mag in Ruger 77....

I had and sadly sold a 77 Mark II in 350 Rem Mag. I also have the article on the round in a long action and loads with bullets seated way out.
What I've read is that if you compare the Rem 700 and Ruger SHORT (medium) actions, the Ruger has the most room for cartridge over all length, the Remington action being the shorter magazine by a smidgen.
I replaced the Ruger MII 350 with a Ruger No.1S in 35 Whelen. I like the .35 bores.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 AM

I will be hunting with my 300 Norma mag & break out my 6mm Norma BR as well
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2017, 07:46 AM

Curious as to what bullet at what velocity you are using in the 6mm Norma BR. I have a cousin who hunts with several 6mm PPCs he builds himself, using 80-grain bullets, but seldom does he take anything other than a head or neck shot. (He hunts his own farm from box stands set up like a bench rest station at a range.)

By using the Norma version, you can shoot heavier, stouter constructed bullets more suited to taking deer-sized game cleanly.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 PM

6.5 grendel for me..bolt action howa
Old 10-19-2017, 06:17 AM

I have been using a 95 gn custom bullet, shot over 30 Deer with it over the years including the biggest buck I ever killed all of them dropped in their tracks load them at 2980 fps
Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 PM

I am glad I saw this thread and all the talk about the .350 Rem mag.
Two weeks ago I decided to hunt with my Rem 600 for this deer season.
I am trying to find some 180gr TTSX locally to try, but my 200gr Hornady SPs always performed well.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Default If I get to rifle hunt .....

I've not been able to hunt in a firearms county for about 8 or 9 years, having been hunting successfully in Archery Only Cobb county.
Looks like I may get to gun hunt this year so I will probably use a Ruger No.1H stainless laminate in 405 Win and handloads. 300 grain Hornady SP flat nose or 300 gr Barnes TSX Bullet.
Old cartridge, old hunter,...modern rifle.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
I've not been able to hunt in a firearms county for about 8 or 9 years, having been hunting successfully in Archery Only Cobb county.
Looks like I may get to gun hunt this year so I will probably use a Ruger No.1H stainless laminate in 405 Win and handloads. 300 grain Hornady SP flat nose or 300 gr Barnes TSX Bullet.
Old cartridge, old hunter,...modern rifle.
I love Teddy Roosevelt's "Big Medicine" (.405 Winchester). However, if I had my druthers, I'd have one in Teddy's rifle -- an 1895 Winchester.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

I guess I could use my wifes' 25-20 Remington pump.but to be legal I'd have to plug the mag to 5 rounds.
Old Today, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deers2ward View Post
I have my eye on a modern 6.5 x 55 Swede

One of the oldest calibers out there........funny how the .260 rem and 6.5 Creedmore are basically the same things but loaded to higher pressures in factory loads due to many of the Swedes being mil surplus. The guys who have been shooting Swedes all these years must be getting a chuckle

I have been reading the Hornady reloading manual, have loaded some in my buddys shop, and am about to get myself a table and associated equipment.....I am really looking forward to it

The .260 is fabulous. If I'd had a 6.5 Swede I wouldn't have purchased it but I'll never get it back as my son loves the Ruger .260 and is deadly with it.
Old Today, 09:06 AM
Default 25-20 Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibob1 View Post
I guess I could use my wifes' 25-20 Remington pump.but to be legal I'd have to plug the mag to 5 rounds.
I've got a Savage 23B (bolt rifle) in 25-20 Win. Accurate, and I would use it for under 75 yard heart lung shots I guess. A little under powered I'm thinking, even though I've used 22 Hornet successfully for a couple of does at 35 yard broadside shots.