Landscape help

1gr8bldr

in the past I have planted your typical shurb bush, I can't think of the name, staggered, in front of Indian Hawthornes. I like this however, they grow to fast, need trimming to much. I'm looking for new ideas for my personal house. Dwarf is the word. I would like something slower growing, or essentially something that maxes out. Two row, staggered, front and rear different. Ideas?

1gr8bldr

Maxes out to what height? need more info!:huh:
My last bushes I kept about 3ft high, but this was to high on the lower side of my home, and especially in front of my porch. My neighbor, deceased now, was burning off some debris from around his field and he let the fire get away. I came home to not being able to see my house due to smoke. My other neighbor was there with a water hose and the old man, 85 was beating with a shovel. It burnt half my yard and landscaping, the pine needles fueling enough to wipe out everything up to the center sidewalk. I replanted but I hated it because it was disproportional, so I tore it all back out, .....LOL, over a year ago. I used to have beautiful bushes, but now a dead spot where i keep the grass back with roundup. I would like to keep them about 2ft

1gr8bldr

They all died within a week.

Attachments

• 0215011357a.jpg
    0215011357a.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 286

shakey gizzard

Never use pine straw/ raw fuel as mulch around your foundation!;) check out dwarf cryptomeria.

sinclair1

Bushes are low maintenance to me. I have one of the highest maintenance landscapes around here, but if I had that traditional home you have there, I might put in a feature tree, and reduce the count some, but what you have is a good look for that house.

Most of the low maintenance stuff like specialty grass, small Japanese maples, adding a sitting bench and big boulders just won't look right on that house.

All my opinion of course. I have 22 drift roses scattered in my landscape in the front and reduced the bush count and added some grasses and crepe myrtles. I like the drifts as I just cut them down every January, but it's in a European style home. Only about 8 ever green bushes to trim, all the rest just get a rough cut each spring for new growth, some in the fall.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Do a featured tree and plant annuals 3 times a year.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Look into dwarf gardenias. They grow about 2 ft tall and 3 ft wide.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Junipers. Minimum maintenance, don't need much water and depending on variety don't grow more than 18 to 24 inches high. You can choose different varieties to layer the hieght.

GA native

Looking at the picture, your planter is in full sun? If that is the case, then a row of rabbiteye blueberry bushes, bloodgood jap maples on the corners, and day lilies, with jonquil bulbs, in the foreground. It would look nice, be low maintenance, draw in loads of birds, and provide you with free blueberries.

Or encore azaleas and loropetalums and a bed of annuals.

Knockout roses with hollies.

... I could go all day like this. Probably the best thing you can do, is draw up the area on some graph paper, then just play around with the design on paper.

Georgiadawgs78

Drift rose, dwarf yaupon, several dwarf varieties of nandinas, mojo pittosporums, dwarf radican gardenias , crimson fire loropetalum, bowling ball arborvitae, or a globose nana cryptomeria to name a few.