Poacher - Taylor County

hoghunter

At 6:17 AM on 2 October 2017 I received an alert from my Bushnell Cellular Camera that it had taken a photo. I looked at my cell and noticed someone was approaching my feeder with a spotlight. One more photo came in...appears to be the receiver or a gun...or something else? Then the camera went dead.

My camera was well secured with a metal strap. He probably panicked and tore if off, so the camera likely has damage...at least on the back.

Please look at the attached photo of what appears to be a gun receiver. Anyone know what it is or what type of gun it is? If it is a gun, the mag well looks unique.

This guy is the worst kind of low-life threat...an armed poacher on private property...and a camera thief. Hunters in Taylor County should be alert. This guy needs to get caught.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Ranch Camera Theft  (2).JPG
    Ranch Camera Theft (2).JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 4,642
  • IMG_4232.jpg
    IMG_4232.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 4,651
  • THUMB_100EK113_EK000189 (2).JPG
    THUMB_100EK113_EK000189 (2).JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 4,868

basschaser

I would keep an eye on your account. I have the same cam and when it’s powered back up it’ll check in and give gps coordinates. And most likely he’ll eventually get a pic of himself. Surely the GW would track him down if you had the coordinates.

hoghunter

I'm located about 6 miles NW of Butler...not far from the sand pits. Especially be on the lookout in that general area for off-road "Gator" type vehicles cruising the roads in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the support.

hoghunter

Yes, Sir...I notified all the interested authorities...and alerted the neighbors as a poacher is a danger to all.

I've had cameras stolen before. Unfortunately, it happens. Trespassing with a deadly weapon is quite another matter..it will get my immediate and undivided attention. I've been shot at before...don't like it very much.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It's a local person most likely. To much trouble for a person that lives from there.

hoghunter

Yes, Sir. Most of the time these guys are local criminals on drugs, which motivates them to take risks normal people would not.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don't know about the drug part. They Tring to kill a racked buck. After the shot. One call and he has help. There's more than one.

hoghunter

I manage a hunt club in another county...been doing it for over 15 years. I have a lot of experience with seasonal theft. We get hit every year about the same time...local meth users and sometimes just kids. All the clubs get hit. We take the necessary precautions to protect valuable stands, etc. and have developed interesting ways of catching them. Never had an issue with poaching at the club. Poaching to me is like someone breaking into your house.

Worlldbeater

I can't really tell but it looks like a single shot receiver( note the pins on the receiver and the round forend) looks like a shell or bullet holder is somehow attached with wire or something is my best guess. Zooming in it looks to have loops. Good luck catching him.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I can't really tell but it looks like a single shot receiver( ote the pins on the receiver and the round forend) looks like a shell or bullet holder is somehow attached with wire or something. Zooming in it looks to have loops. Good luck catching him. I have had more than my share of poachers. Caught one last fall with three poached turkey hens and yes I did contact dnr.

I know that had to sting. :clap:

I'm just SW of Butler, the only thing we've ever had stolen was a trail camera.......i'm still mad about that and it was about 6 years ago, I hope you find out who it is and they get punished to the fullest!

hoghunter

Thanks, Trapperman. He knows we'll be watching for him and probably lay low for a while...or move on to new victims.

hoghunter

Well...after this weekend I've beginning to think the hunters in my part of Taylor couldn't hit a deer in daylight. Shooting and ATV's running around in the middle of the night...out of control.