Sandy Soil Crops

rhettneck79

Most of the soil on our property is very sandy.:banginghe We are hoping to plant corn, sorghum, and soybeans for our summer foodplots. My cousin says the corn will not make it :huh: and I was hoping for some other opinions or advice on what crops would work. Also thought about red arrowleaf clover?

easbell

The key to the corn will be getting the ph right and then getting enough rain. Both of these are hard with sandy soil because the lime will leach out and sandy soil doesn't hold moisture well. Corn needs a lot fertilizer but planting soybeans with the corn will help as they put Na back into the soil. The sorghum would be a better bet but deer normally won't use it until after frost.

I would suggest looking at something else that is designed for more acid/sandy soils. There are some commercial mixes available. Check the Mossy Oak, Pennington or other websites.

Farm

Green Patch by Biologic does well in Sandy Soil.

FARM

The soil where I hunt by Okeechobee, FL is about as sandy as you can get, but last summer I planted this 3 acre bean/pea/sunflower field and it grew great. The key was getting enough rain and keeping the deer off the plot with PlotSaver for the first 3 weeks. Mix included IC Peas, Soybeans, LabLab, sunflower and some feed corn.

BeanField2a.jpg

BeanField4A.jpg