Cold Weather Fishing

TAS

Went out fishing yesterday. Was really cold. Fished the usual oyster beds/mouth of creeks. No bites in two hours. Are those still the places to fish as it gets colder?

Scallen2112

My question as well, and same results. A few weeks ago we were fishing 4-5' flats and tearing them up. Water temp was 71-72. Yesterday, not a bite - water temp was 62-63.

I did mark a lot of fish off the drops from the flat and off the side of some points in 9-12 feet of water, but all I had with me was a popping cork and DOA. I'm thinking about going back Saturday with jigheads and grubs and see what those fish may be. Could be that they are moving deeper with the colder water, but will take some experimenting - which I have time to do since I took early retirement.

If I find a pattern, I will post it for all to see - 'cus Lord knows few other people will.

Riplukelee

Thank ya Thank ya ... I plan to spend the first part of Wednesday hunting the trout and redfish then finishing the day off with a couple sheepies.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Went out fishing yesterday. Was really cold. Fished the usual oyster beds/mouth of creeks. No bites in two hours. Are those still the places to fish as it gets colder?

I believe the schools are getting tighter and they may shift a bit. I have been hitting the same drops and they do vary with results. I do believe they get a bit of lick jaw when there is a sudden change lime we would if they turned on the air conditioning at a buffet in December. I will start checking deeper drops when the surface ten gets below 60. Quality of trout should improve. I like to fish for reds on the low incoming. Let that mud heat up. Hope this helps. I don't know very much but am more than happy to share what I do know. If this didn't help let me know. Also, don't forget bait patterns as the temps drop

jtaylor

I saw the same on Saturday. Picked up nothing on the first two stops. Moved up in a creek and fished a deep bend where we caught two reds on jig heads w/ mud minnows and one trout on a paddle tail. Ended up getting on a good whiting bite and couldn't talk my eight year old into moving to try anywhere else lol.