Minn Kota I-Pilot vs Motorguide XI5

Rhodes

About ready to pull the trigger on a new saltwater GPS troller. Obviously I'm looking at the I-Pilot Terrova vs the XI5. I'm looking at the 24V 80lb thrust with 60" shaft. The XI5 in general is approx $300 less so the first thought that comes to mind is "what would I be getting other than the Minn Kota name that would constitute spending the extra $300?" I have no experience with either so I'm looking for y'alls advice.....thanks.

I went against what moast people around here were telling me and got the XI5 motorguide, saved a few hundred plus a 100$ rebate at that time. i have nothing but good to say about it, it has truly changed the way i fish, i use the anchor mode all the time even out in the sounds. it holds position great, has a great jog feature while in anchor mode that i use everytime im out and battery life is great. its quiet, easy to use and cant see fishing without it. you will love it, i love it and would buy it again. I hear minn kota is great also but was told by many motorguide was not what u want? for me its awsome. when i ask why, people would say no display on the remote. motorguide has no display on the remote but that has not even began to bother me?

jtaylor

I love my Xi5. This is my second one. I installed the gateway to hook it to my Lowrance and have been very happy.

Rhodes

I installed the gateway to hook it to my Lowrance and have been very happy.

What's the "gateway"? I'm thinking about adding a Lowrance Hook 7 GPS/Sonar to the boat also, will it link to it?

BigGaJon

I have the exact model Minn Kota you are considering and I love it. It works great, always has for me, the GPS lock is great. However, if you are a Lowrance guy, you should go Motorguide, as the 2 can interface with one another. If you are a Hummingbird guy, it will interface with the MinnKota.

Scallen2112

I was looking for a new trolling motor as well but wanted to keep a foot control. I found the Minkota Pontoon 54 for $200 less than the same model with the hand-held control, which I did not want anyway. My only question is the advisability of using it in salt water, since it is not really a saltwater model. My old motorguide has worked fine for a few years in the salt, but the old-style steel shaft is getting corroded and making it hard to steer. The Pontoon 54 has a composite shaft, so I don't see that being an issue.

Wjackson11x

I have the Xi5 Motorguide and it is a game changer. It makes fishing so much easier. The anchor feature is worth every bit of what you pay. The main reason I went that route was the cost and the rebate. I bought the quick release bracket as well so I could take it off as needed.

I use my boat for all kinds of fishing- trolling for stripers, bass fishing, bottom fishing, inshore, etc. It has changed the way that I fish and has helped me catch more fish.

Rhodes

The main reason I went that route was the cost and the rebate. I bought the quick release bracket as well so I could take it off as needed.
Do you know if there is a current rebate on the XI5 and how much did that quick release bracket set you back?

M77 Ruger

I have the I pilot in the same model you are looking at. I wouldn’t trade it for nothing. The best purchase I have ever made for a boat.

jtaylor

The gateway is a wire that hooks the trolling motor to a NMEA 2000 backbone that you also have to hook your Lowrance to. Its crazy what it cost for a wire but I'm glad I did it. My Lowrance is the HDS series. I'm not sure what all units are compatible. I'll PM you my phone number if you have any questions.

fishman01

No matter which model you choose, it will change the way you fish forever. I will NEVER have a boat without one again.