All in All

hobbs27

What does this phrase mean? Whatever it means God is/was not All in All till Jesus hands the Kingdom to Him and becomes subject to Him.

I think I have a good idea, but I want to hear from others. Thanks.

1Corinthians 15:28
When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

gordon 2

What does this phrase mean? Whatever it means God is/was not All in All till Jesus hands the Kingdom to Him and becomes subject to Him.

I think I have a good idea, but I want to hear from others. Thanks.

1Corinthians 15:28
When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Well, for starters the first time I even encountered the phrase, was here on this forum. It was a sermon from that Piper guy I think, ( might be wrong) on how all did not mean all, all the time.

But to address your query, I think this phrase, is akin to the phrase ( I paraphrase), "We shall see Him as he is." And we shall see....

hobbs27

That's not much Gordon, but I appreciate it. I'm putting together enough on this.. I may very well write a book on it.

Artfuldodger

I think it means the time when there will be no more sin, curse, or evil. God will be all in all. Right now he isn't in everything and everyone.

God has appointed things for Jesus to do such as in these verses;
John 5:22
In addition, the Father judges no one. Instead, he has given the Son absolute authority to judge,

Acts 17:31
For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead."

1 Corinthians 15:27
For “God has put everything under His feet.” Now when it says that everything has been put under Him, this clearly does not include the One who put everything under Him.

Eventually when the kingdom comes to the earth, things will be subjected to Jesus who will eventually return all to his Father.

At that point all will be in all.

Philippians 3:21
who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

"enables him to bring everything under his authority."
"he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."

This is leading up to Jesus bringing everything under his authority before turning it over to his Father.

Artfuldodger

"this clearly does not include the One who put everything under Him."

This gives the appearance that the one who sent Christ is not under Christ's authority. He put everything under Christ's feet except Himself.
Eventually the Son Himself will be made subject to God returning his appointment back over to the One who appointed him.

After this has been done per verse 28, all will be in all.

hobbs27

Art... What do you think of the NLTs rendering?

1 Corinthians 15:28New Living Translation (NLT)
28 Then, when all things are under his authority, the Son will put himself under God’s authority, so that God, who gave his Son authority over all things, will be utterly supreme over everything everywhere.

Also, think of this.
Matt 21:43 Therefore I say unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

gordon 2

Colossians 3 : 10-11.... put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

John 1 KJV 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Ephesians 1:20which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms, 21far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in the one to come.

-------------------
The Kingdom might just be relevant because there are other kingdoms. When all these kingdoms are dispossessed and starved to none existence, not even the memory of them in existence,--- then what is is is or is what is. Not even the need to call what is a kingdom will be.... Then all that is will be all in all. It's that simple...

Maybe.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Art... What do you think of the NLTs rendering?

1 Corinthians 15:28New Living Translation (NLT)
28 Then, when all things are under his authority, the Son will put himself under God’s authority, so that God, who gave his Son authority over all things, will be utterly supreme over everything everywhere.

Also, think of this.
Matt 21:43 Therefore I say unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

15:28 NLT looks like the others. What's the connection you see with Matt 21:43?
In Matt:21:43 the kingdom is taken from a nation and given to another nation. Ethnos. This is from the Lord, and it is marvelous in our eyes.

Fill me in.

hobbs27

15:28 NLT looks like the others. What's the connection you see with Matt 21:43?
In Matt:21:43 the kingdom is taken from a nation and given to another nation. Ethnos. This is from the Lord, and it is marvelous in our eyes.

Fill me in.

Jesus took the Kingdom from the Jewish leaders... He then presented the Kingdom to God that God could be Everything ...Everywhere.

The Kingdom would then have Jesus as the High Priest and it would be spiritual, and without borders.

It's about the exchanging of the priesthood and expansion of the Kingdom.

hobbs27

Colossians 3 : 10-11.... put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

John 1 KJV 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Ephesians 1:20which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms, 21far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in the one to come.

-------------------
The Kingdom might just be relevant because there are other kingdoms. When all these kingdoms are dispossessed and starved to none existence, not even the memory of them in existence,--- then what is is is or is what is. Not even the need to call what is a kingdom will be.... Then all that is will be all in all. It's that simple...

Maybe.

I like it!

Artfuldodger

Jesus took the Kingdom from the Jewish leaders... He then presented the Kingdom to God that God could be Everything ...Everywhere.

The Kingdom would then have Jesus as the High Priest and it would be spiritual, and without borders.

He took the Kingdom from Israel. It will be given to an ethnos that will produce fruit.

Is the Father an ethnos? Is an ethnos everywhere? Is everyone producing fruit? Has everyone overcome the stumbling stone? Has they Kingdom come on earth as it is in Heaven? Has all been restored? Has the blindness mentioned in Romans 11 been removed? The one applied in order that the full number of Gentiles can come in? Has that ethnos been restored as Romans 11 says it will? Will that ethnos again produce fruit as per Romans 11?
As it stands now, we do know that the kingdom has been taken from the vineyard.

hobbs27

1Peter 2:9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

A Kingdom is a royal government. Jesus is our High priest and you can see these first generation Christians were made a royal priesthood of the Kingdom.

God rules the Kingdom with Jesus in subjection to God, making Christ's Kingdom a Holy nation, and we are made Kings and priests unto God in this Kingdom.

Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

....And this Kingdom has no end.

Artfuldodger

Then the Son has put himself under God’s authority? He has returned "all" as promised back to the Father?

Artfuldodger

1Peter 2:9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

A Kingdom is a royal government. Jesus is our High priest and you can see these first generation Christians were made a royal priesthood of the Kingdom.

God rules the Kingdom with Jesus in subjection to God, making Christ's Kingdom a Holy nation, and we are made Kings and priests unto God in this Kingdom.

Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

....And this Kingdom has no end.

"The Kingdom would then have Jesus as the High Priest and it would be spiritual, and without borders."quote

God took his Kingdom from the leaders of Israel. You believe the Nation(ethnos) that God will give his Kingdom to is a spiritual ethnos? That he has already given it to this new ethnos?
Can we now use Nation in place of Kingdom when we read scripture?

Artfuldodger

who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Will Jesus still be able to do this after he does this in Corinthians?

1 Corinthians 15:28
Then, when all things are under his authority, the Son will put himself under God’s authority, so that God, who gave his Son authority over all things, will be utterly supreme over everything everywhere.

Artfuldodger

When was the Kingdom taken from Israel and given to the new ethnos? How does this fall into play with the mystery revealed by God to Paul?

hobbs27

When was the Kingdom taken from Israel and given to the new ethnos? How does this fall into play with the mystery revealed by God to Paul?

At the last day. They had already been made kings and priests but hadn't been vindicated until the old covenant was completely destroyed.

Not sure what you're asking about the falling into play.

hobbs27

Will Jesus still be able to do this after he does this in Corinthians?

1 Corinthians 15:28
Then, when all things are under his authority, the Son will put himself under God’s authority, so that God, who gave his Son authority over all things, will be utterly supreme over everything everywhere.

Yes, He's made subject to God, but continues to rule the Kingdom.

Artfuldodger

Yes, He's made subject to God, but continues to rule the Kingdom.

Doesn't 1 Corinthians 15:28 say otherwise?

Leading up to verse 22;

1 Corinthians 15:24
Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power.

Do you see it more as a general handing over a new land to the president at the end of a war? The general is still a general even after handing the kingdom to the president.
He's not ending the general's appointment.

I don't see it that way because when it's all over, it's over. All dominion, authority, and power will have been destroyed. It's more like the general will not be needed in that capacity any longer. He will take his position at the right hand of the president.

He hands it over as in giving up his reign. He is not presenting it as a gift as if continuing to reign.