Extended deer season bill?

garveywallbanger

I say make the season one week long for the northern part of the state to satisfy all the whining about low density deer populations. and start the southern season November 1st thru MLK day . IDK about the rest of you folks but Im sick of hearing about shortening a season that we fought hard to lengthen. SMH

delacroix

BANNED
How to find your representative: https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/

Suggested text for your email:
"There they go trying to extend deer season again. It was too long before they extended it the last time. Now they want to steal more time away from other outdoor enthusiasts again!

The background here is that those who pursue trophy bucks want to have the season open at the better times in their part of the state. Those times are different in different parts of a state as large as Georgia. On every full moon starting in October and on until February, somewhere in the state there will be peak activity. The peak varies by region. We have biologists who are capable of determining those times and tailoring season dates by region. Squeaky wheels and political pressure make extending season to cover all times statewide seem like a faultless solution if you listen only to those who are obsessed with hunting deer. The rest of us are getting the short end of an ever shrinking stick.

The rest of us, be we trail riders, bird watchers, small game hunters, backpackers, etc. are pushed out of the woods by deer hunting. It just not safe to have yourself or your animals in the woods during deer season. Bullets ricochet. Targets are misidentified. We deserve time in the woods during the fall and winter months, too.

Shortening or splitting up periods of deer season, according to findings of scientific measurement by DNR biologists, would be fair to everyone. A shorter deer season does not necessarily mean less opportunity if seasons are set according to peak activity by region. The truth is it does not take several months to harvest a nice buck and stock the freezer with does. I typically do it in less than a week of actual hunting. Insisting there is a need for more time is not due to real need. It is due to want for taking more than their fair share of time in the woods. "

shdw633

How to find your representative: https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/

Suggested text for your email:
"There they go trying to extend deer season again. It was too long before they extended it the last time. Now they want to steal more time away from other outdoor enthusiasts again!

The background here is that those who pursue trophy bucks want to have the season open at the better times in their part of the state. Those times are different in different parts of a state as large as Georgia. On every full moon starting in October and on until February, somewhere in the state there will be peak activity. The peak varies by region. We have biologists who are capable of determining those times and tailoring season dates by region. Squeaky wheels and political pressure make extending season to cover all times statewide seem like a faultless solution if you listen only to those who are obsessed with hunting deer. The rest of us are getting the short end of an ever shrinking stick.

The rest of us, be we trail riders, bird watchers, small game hunters, backpackers, etc. are pushed out of the woods by deer hunting. It just not safe to have yourself or your animals in the woods during deer season. Bullets ricochet. Targets are misidentified. We deserve time in the woods during the fall and winter months, too.

Shortening or splitting up periods of deer season, according to findings of scientific measurement by DNR biologists, would be fair to everyone. A shorter deer season does not necessarily mean less opportunity if seasons are set according to peak activity by region. The truth is it does not take several months to harvest a nice buck and stock the freezer with does. I typically do it in less than a week of actual hunting. Insisting there is a need for more time is not due to real need. It is due to want for taking more than their fair share of time in the woods. "

The other 8 months you have in the woods is not considered a "fair share" of time in the woods????:huh:

Mexican Squealer

I couldn't care less if the season is extended...just wish the limit would go back to 2 bucks, 3 does. It's been proven that the common red neck doesn't have enough sense to realize that the state was allowing us to manage things on our own. Bubba gots to kill his limit, after all- its legal.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
To long now. :deadhorse:

Call yo' peeps and tell them NO!

Agree. I wish more counties would get serious about quality management too. We could have a lot more big deer if people weren't allowed the option of "if it's brown it's down" philosophy. Maybe allow kids up to a certain age more leniency. Just my opinion.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I couldn't care less if the season is extended...just wish the limit would go back to 2 bucks, 3 does. It's been proven that the common red neck doesn't have enough sense to realize that the state was allowing us to manage things on our own. Bubba gots to kill his limit, after all- its legal.

I don't think the "common redneck" is nearly as much of a problem as you believe. Unless by common redneck you mean rich boy Florida hunters who seem to think it is their birthright to try to kill every last deer in the woods.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
If you want the season extended, sit in the stand longer. Maybe then nobody will realize there's any dogs in camp, less time to worry about thieves, more time to squeeze that trigger. Then we can all get along.

Buckman18

This is a genius idea, especially when you account for the fact that the DNR says the average hunter kills less than two deer per year...

GottaGetOutdoors

Too many hunters coming up from Florida, too many coming down from North Carolina. Driving our lease fees too high.

Mark Twain said, "It's not what you don't know that gets you. It's what you know for certain that just ain't so."

Non-residents are not to blame. Lease prices are high because demand among GA hunters is more than enough to drive lease rates up. Timber companies have waiting lists filled mostly with names of GA hunters. Even if every club in GA banned FL and NC hunters, lease prices would stay just as high. Why? Because when one club drops its lease, there's a longer list of GA hunters waiting in line to lease it.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Annual non resident fl fishing license is only $47 and plenty of good georgia folk come down for this resource without us demanding increases , etc.

True, you don't hear us clamoring for snapper tags or a scallop tax for non-resident folks.

Like I said before, manage the state by having different zones not just a North/South. Like Florida it has a wide range of rut times and we have several zones to take advantage of that. If I chose I could hunt from late July? in the Southern zone to the end of February in the Panhandle.

Buckman18

Mark Twain said, "It's not what you don't know that gets you. It's what you know for certain that just ain't so."

Non-residents are not to blame. Lease prices are high because demand among GA hunters is more than enough to drive lease rates up. Timber companies have waiting lists filled mostly with names of GA hunters. Even if every club in GA banned FL and NC hunters, lease prices would stay just as high. Why? Because when one club drops its lease, there's a longer list of GA hunters waiting in line to lease it.

There is an old Appalachian saying: "Never listen to Mark Twain sayings." ::ke: just kidding of course!

The fact remains that our State is leaving money on the table by not continuing to increase Non-res fees. This is money that could be used to improve the food plots on Swallow Creek WMA that receive little love, re-establish plots on the old Lake Burton WMA that now have young trees growing in them, launch a program similar to Zell Millers Preservation 2000 program that provided 1,000's of acres of new public hunting and fishing opportunity, hire more rangers and wildlife techs, launch more programs like Buck Shoals youth WMA, continue to improve and diversify our trout fishing resources, more striper, walleye, hybrid stockings etc, etc... They'll pay. And they'll complain about it, but they have no say.

Last edited:

shdw633

Unless by common redneck you mean rich boy Florida hunters who seem to think it is their birthright to try to kill every last deer in the woods.

And yet when you get on this board and rant how non-resident hunters should pay more for their license your justification to that is that you can kill 2 bucks and 10 does in the state?!?! But then if somebody does that you all go into a tizzy because they did, so which is it??? :banginghe

shdw633

And they'll complain about it, but they have no say.

Neither do you. Vote away, they just raised it and they aren't going to do it again any time soon. You don't slay your goose that lays the golden egg.

Last edited:

Buckman18

Neither do you. Vote away, they just raised it and they aren't going to do it again any time soon. You don't slay your goose that lays the golden egg.

You must be from Florida? You're wrong by the way. I've got plenty of say in this State, as does every other resident of this State.

However, you are correct about the golden egg, I don't goose hunt.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
And yet when you get on this board and rant how non-resident hunters should pay more for their license your justification to that is that you can kill 2 bucks and 10 does in the state?!?! But then if somebody does that you all go into a tizzy because they did, so which is it??? :banginghe

I'll wait while you quote a post of mine arguing for nonresident hunters to pay higher license fees...

Couldn't find it? That's because I didn't say it. I have enough sense to realize that nonresident hunters aren't going anywhere. I just wish they would or could exercise a little self control in terms of how many they kill and and a little discretion when it comes to bucks. There will be a lot more big bucks if the Florida boys don't blast every three, four, and six point they see. I don't know what is unreasonable about that.

Now as for your argument that the solution ultimately lies with the state of Georgia, you are correct. I stated above that it would suit me if we were allowed fewer kills and I wish we would get more stringent in terms of what bucks are legal kills. But I realize these things likely won't happen.