Gwinnett County's Collins Hill Park Fishing

bgmacaw

My son and I have been fishing at this county park several times over the past few weeks so I thought I'd post this report on it.

This lake, right in the heart of Gwinnett County suburbia, is supposed to be about 58 acres but it seems smaller than that to me. The public access area is on the dam end of the lake. It is stocked with largemouth bass, bream, crappie, and channel cats. From what I heard from some other people, the lake was drained and restocked so most of the fish are small.

We have had luck catching smaller bass and crappie on chartreuse 1/8 oz jig heads with either chartreuse 2" grubs or tubes. You can catch small bream by the dozens with dough. Some other people fish out there with livers and other smelly bait and catch some catfish (almost mostly small).

All in all, it's a fun place to go if you live close by and want to wet your hook on a lazy afternoon. It's also a good place to take a kid fishing since it's easy to get to and it's easy for them to catch a fish, even if it is only a tiny bream. Also, there is a playground visible from the lake they can go play on if they get bored.

Tim L

Fort Yargo

Another good place not to far away from you is Fort Yargo State Park in Winder. Enter the main entrance (not Ent. B), go till you see the tennis courts on your right, turn left and park (same side of road as the big wood bridge). Instead of walking down to the bridge, just follow the trail that leads down to the end of the point. Fish with corn (use a heavy sinker), throw way out straight or to the right. Be patient and that boy (and you) might just catch the biggest fish he has ever caught. If you want to improve his chances, take a small bucket of oatmeal (old fashion) and some cream of wheat and mix with jello and aliitle syrup. Put a little water in it when you get there and stir. Wrap half a piece of that bread around the sinker then pack the oatmeal around the bread. If you take it easy it will stay on when you throw. Will attract fish and they will find your bait sooner.